How about a midwest forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way to go Becky!!!! My mama always told me I was too redneck to study that ther english stuff :eyebrow:

nauifins73:
"Patient Divers" more like an Oxymoron - which Webster tells us is "a combination of contradictory words". :D

Becky

Here I always thought that a oxymoron was a dumb diver using some high tech breathing gas.

That works too :D

Becky

Hooray! Let's make this forum feel like home... let's see... 55°-65° water, no vis... Jump into the muck!

Thanks to all who fought to get us Midwest divers represented in our own forum!

Thanks to all. I raise my tank to you and take a hit.

Jmaserati:
Hooray! Let's make this forum feel like home... let's see... 55°-65° water, no vis... Jump into the muck!

Thanks to all who fought to get us Midwest divers represented in our own forum!
Is that the surface temp? :eyebrow:

and a forum is born...I love it when a plan comes together.

manda:
we're from omaha nebraska and notice that you mention quarries. Are any of these open to the public or is there a way we might be able to get in to see one. We have tried to find several quarries/other dive locations and have had no success. Any help would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any idea's of sites around 500 mi of omaha ne. please let us know.

Also from Omaha! You are right there aren't many sites around for us. We did our only post-OW dives out at Elm Creek. Its called Sandy Channel. Its a State Rec. area. only 15-20 ft deep and viz was spotty with 5-10 ft the best. there are 4 boats and some nav gates along with a few concrete statues on the bottom. Good to get wet though! Its where Heartland scuba in Kearney and Lincoln do their OW. One of the shops in Omaha (Underwater World) has access to a quarry in Malvern IA. They charge entry and only on wknds. while they are there with classes. Viz is supposed to be 25-35 right now. We did our checkout dives in June and viz was about 15. I've heard a few go to Fort Randall on the SD border. Talked to a guy that said there is some fun current diving below the dam. We are looking at hitting Okoboji yet this year if we can find some info on the diving there.

<I've heard a few go to Fort Randall on the SD border.>

I live in Omaha also. Thinking about heading to Ft Randall this weekend (8-14) They are having a Spearfishing tournament up there this weekend.

I have a 18 1/2' boat, it's mostly rigged for fishing but have racks for 4 tanks. Could hold 3 divers & gear ok, 4 divers kind of squeezing it.

Anybody interested? It's about 4 1/2 hrs from Omaha & there are plenty of Motels in the area.

Terry
terry@heese.us

From Lincoln. Would love to go back to Fort Randall this weekend, but can't make it. Spent an afternoon earlier this year diving the tailrace at Fort Randall. It is a ball! Truly a great drift dive. The boat I was on spent the entire afternoon shuffling different groups (we dived two per float) back near the dam so we could drift with the current. Tons of fishing lures, old bottles, etc to be found. May see an occasional sturgeon or paddlefish. Max depth for our dives was 23 feet.

Regarding the spearfishing tournament, saw an enormous buffalo carp on the lake side of the dam. HAD to have been 40 pounds.

Have also dived Sandy Channel. Despite the limited visibility (actually pretty good for water around here), the local scuba shops have done a great job of putting interesting things to find/see in the water. It was listed in the July or August Dive Training magazine as one of the featured "Local Dive Spots".

P.S. Wkndbum, you should ask James Goddard to put you in the Nebraska section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom