Hotel Cozumel: AI vs. non?!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I did the AI at Hotel Coz in July. It was actually pretty good. We did it just for the breakfast and lunch. Being to get up have a bite then go through the tunnel to catch the boat and do the same thing coming back was great. We always eat dinner downtown. There are to many wonderful places not to eat out. The food at the hotel was okay, not the greatest but I have had much worse. Breakfast was especially good for divers. And was quite tastey. Lunch was fair but there is always a burger at the grill.

...which is what we two do at home. Our possibility with going with the AI option will still include occasionally going into town for dinner. But with how much and often we eat here, the AI option (plus still looking around town and picking up some groceries) may be the way we go.

ggunn:
If you want to REALLY save some money, stay home. ;^)

But seriously, I've never done an AI, but I'll bet I don't spend much more than $32/day on food when I'm on Cozumel. I eat a light breakfast of toast, jam, and coffee, and we get that and lunch stuff from Chedraui. We go into town for dinner every evening, and I've got enough eateries on my short list that I could stay two weeks and not eat twice at the same place.

That said, where you are staying figures in as well. If you are staying way south (Allegro, Occidental, Reef, etc.), then the expense of getting to and from the restaurants in town is significant.

Try to get one Ai and one EU. See if you can do it.
If you are lazy ( like I’m ) and drink ( socially + ) and your partner has the same characteristics : Get 2 AI.
As guys said : "2 drinks and you are ahead " - I agree.
It is super convenient ( read : M_B _are_ lazy ) to get out of the boat and get 2 shots of tequila and food and don't think about your bill.
But for dinner ( when we don't like the food in the hotel ) we go out.

Our experience with the food in this hotel : you never know what to expect. But I'm a late bird ( like to sleep ) and it is close to unreal to get me to walk further than downstairs for the breakfast. So "quick run around the corner" is not for me .
And than : Is it vacation or not?! I want to be lazy. :)

If I were you - cannot really make my mind - i would flip the coin and, while it is flying, enjoy the thought that you can afford this trip regardless of the coin-flipping result.

Leaving you here in total confusion, waiting for the "coin" result :)

I have stayed at Hotel Cozumel at least five times in the past three years and have been satisfied with the all-inclusive package. The meals are not fancy--usually steam table entrees with plenty of salads, fresh fruits and several dessert selections. If you are one who likes to dine on more elegant selections then do not go all-inclusive. For me I go to Coz to dive, not to eat and I find the convenience of eating on base so to speak saves a lot of time. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are as good as most on the island. Others will argue this point--but I go there to dive. I also dive with Paradise Divers in the small fast boats (six packs). When you arrive at the hotel be sure to ask for the key to the safe in your room as well as a key to one of the dive lockers down at the pier. In fact, I will be there from November 9 to the 16th. If you have any questions post them and I will be happy to give you my two cents worth. The Professor

No need for the coin toss. I think your post just solidified my decision.

We'll be there last week of March to early April. If anyone is going to be there around that time, let's have a drink!

Jeff

M_B:
Try to get one Ai and one EU. See if you can do it.
If you are lazy ( like I’m ) and drink ( socially + ) and your partner has the same characteristics : Get 2 AI.
As guys said : "2 drinks and you are ahead " - I agree.
It is super convenient ( read : M_B _are_ lazy ) to get out of the boat and get 2 shots of tequila and food and don't think about your bill.
But for dinner ( when we don't like the food in the hotel ) we go out.

Our experience with the food in this hotel : you never know what to expect. But I'm a late bird ( like to sleep ) and it is close to unreal to get me to walk further than downstairs for the breakfast. So "quick run around the corner" is not for me .
And than : Is it vacation or not?! I want to be lazy. :)

If I were you - cannot really make my mind - i would flip the coin and, while it is flying, enjoy the thought that you can afford this trip regardless of the coin-flipping result.

Leaving you here in total confusion, waiting for the "coin" result :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom