Hotel Cozumel: AI vs. non?!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajmataz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So flying from Seattle to Cozumel, I was quoted the following:

hotel, flight, transportation to and from airport, and taxes:
$984 (~$1000): not all-inclusive
$1212: all inclusive.

That's a $228 difference for 7 days per person, or roughly $32 a day. In this scenario, do you think I ought to just go with the AI?? It seems like the better deal, seeing how one probably will spend more than $30 a day on food and drink.

Itching to get to Coz...but needing a little help along the way.

IMO go for the AI if for nothing else the convience of not having to go to town to eat breakfast and lunch. It is only a short 15 minute walk to town but you have the hassle of showering after your morning dive when you can just sit down at Hotel Coz's beach side resturant and eat in your swim suit. I would go to town and eat dinner if you have the chance. The food is much better in town.

We stay at Hotel Coz and go AI just for the breakfast and lunch but we do dinner in town. I like to stay in my swim suit and go to the pool or sun bathe after diving and lunch if I am not diving in the afternoon.

I have to say the food is not great but, I'm there to dive not eat FWIW.

ajmataz:

That's a $228 difference for 7 days per person, or roughly $32 a day. In this scenario, do you think I ought to just go with the AI?? It seems like the better deal, seeing how one probably will spend more than $30 a day on food and drink.

Two thoughts...In reality, with arrival and departure times considered, your meal budget will probably be closer to 5-1/2 to 6 days than 7 so your cost per day calculation may be a little low. And more importantly, if you eat all your meals at the hotel, you will have missed what I think is a big part of the fun in going to Cozumel.

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_restaurants.html

ajmataz:

If you want to REALLY save some money, stay home. ;^)

But seriously, I've never done an AI, but I'll bet I don't spend much more than $32/day on food when I'm on Cozumel. I eat a light breakfast of toast, jam, and coffee, and we get that and lunch stuff from Chedraui. We go into town for dinner every evening, and I've got enough eateries on my short list that I could stay two weeks and not eat twice at the same place.

That said, where you are staying figures in as well. If you are staying way south (Allegro, Occidental, Reef, etc.), then the expense of getting to and from the restaurants in town is significant.

I would NOT get the AI at Hotel Cozumel.
We stayed there in Dec 2002 and the food was really aweful.
Cold, no flavor, same food every day.

You're only about 5 blocks from Rock N Java for breakfast.
Chedraui is a couple of blocks away and you can get snack very cheap.
The food in town is just so good that I could never imagine doing a AI while on the island and within a decent distance into town.

cozudiver:
I would NOT get the AI at Hotel Cozumel.
We stayed there in Dec 2002 and the food was really aweful.
Cold, no flavor, same food every day.

It's different than it was two years ago - owners have changed twice or so since then.

Was there last week and it was quite tasty.

randyjoy:
It's different than it was two years ago - owners have changed twice or so since then.

Was there last week and it was quite tasty.

I agree the food has improved since we were there in 2001. We went last summer and it was ok. It is not great but the food ordered from the grill like hamburgers and chicken were fine for me. I had a friend return from there last week and said the food was awful. It depends on your taste. It is far from great.

The food in town is better but again for the price and not having to hassle going to town for breakfast or lunch is a plus for me IMO.

Plus paying a 1.50 everytime want a soft drink not to mention the beer and mix drinks or water. It was nice to walk up to the bar and order what you want and not have to fork over any money except for tips of course. To each his own. That is why there is a choice.

This particular hotel has turned over so many times that my husband and I now call it "New Name Hotel" because we never know what the current name is!

And because of this, and hoping that any changes made have been to the good, is why I'm always putting in the dates that we were there.

Even if it is better than when we were there in 2002, I would still not take the AI option because of the local options so close. Spending $32 a day per person is quite a bit. We rarely spend more than $40 per day for the two of us.

I'm Parrotheaddiver's friend from her post above that just returned from there. I'm an ex-marine and enjoyed c-rat's so it's not like I'm that hard to please, but, the food was bad. I had one decent dinner there the first night we arrived. The rest of the meals we ate there were really bad, cold, no flavor.
That said, I'd do the AI if you are staying there. The convenience of stopping by the bar or one of the restaurants for water and soft drinks was worth the money you are talking about in difference. Throw in a few cocktails and you are ahead without ever leaving the hotel. Especially if you spend any time at the hotel beach or pool, grab some nachos or a burger, sit back and relax.
The days we were there, it was very slow in Cozumel. I doubt the Hotel had more than 50 rooms occupied. Maybe they do better when they are busy?
One couple that was on our flight down and back told us they thought the food was fantastic. Had to tell you that in fairness.

IMO half the fun of Coz is getting out and taking in the local groceries. There are some really great small cafe's and resturants if you look for them as well as ask around for where the locals enjoy eating. AI might be good for some, not me. I don't drink so I can't take advantage of the open bar either. If thats part of the plan then AI might be the way to go. If you plan on doing that much drinking, you shouldn't be doing that much diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom