Hot Shower after dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't a person need to really be pushing their limits or ascending too quickly for this to be an issue?

I recall it being stated several years ago that if you did your ascents properly, you should be able to run a marathon when you're done diving.... I'm guessing at that point a hot shower wouldn't be out of the question either... lol

Of course, YMMV and that might preclude PFO conditions too.

3 scenarios:

A. Diver in fresh water shore dive, surface temp of 83F, depth temp 45F, 5 mil suit, air temps of 90F. At the end he finds himself to be uncomfortably hot slugging up the bank.

B. A diver on a liveaboard completes the 3rd dive of the day [80F water wear a skin] exits water and baths in the sun waiting his next dive.

C. A diver dives in 65F water with normal exposure protection and takes a hot shower upon returning.

For DCS, does A and B have less risk than C?

Last edited:
If I'm out diving in the morning, early afternoon and get out of the water say at 2 PM, would it be safe to jump in the hot tub with my wife, whilst the kids are 1,000 miles away mind you, at say 10 pm? Is this recommendation for the hour or two after a dive?

The only way to guarantee 100% complete safety whilst diving is to stay at home and watch TV instead... :D

In simple terms: serious problems associated with hot water, heavy excercise and anything else that might increase your blood circulation and the rate at which nitrogen dissolves out of your tissues are mostly relevant in the immediate time after diving. The maximum "speed" if you like of tissue gas elimination is during this time.

For the hot tub - yeah, I really don't think you have anything to worry about in the slightest - you don't have to wait that long at all, in fact, unless your wife has a headache or something :eyebrow:

Safe cuddling,

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom