Hoseless - worth it? Dependable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkimFisher

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering the Aeris Epic, but I don't run into many divers with hoseless, air-integrated computers. So I'd like to get some feedback on dependability and experiences with hoseless/air-integrated rigs.

Do most people dive with a backup SPG or other form of redundancy (pony bottle gauge, etc)?

Ever experienced any failures or issues with reliability?

How's battery life? I usually log 4-6 dives a month...

I appreciate any feedback.

Personally I think its worth it.
I have dove the Atom 2.0 for a few years now, over 200 dives on it.
Not once have I had to thumb a dive due to its failure.

I do have an AI console, but I carry that as a second computer more then a backup for pressure readings. I have no reserves about just using the atom.

I've used an Atom 2.0 and now the OC1 for over 250 dives, and have had no problems with the wireless link.

If I'm doing a technical dive, I carry a backup SPG attached to one of my tanks (just in case), and the wireless on the other.

For no-decompression open water open circuit dives... I just use the wireless link, as i monitor my pressure frequently, and in the event of a total failure, I could always just abort the dive and make a safe ascent.

I'm considering the Aeris Epic, but I don't run into many divers with hoseless, air-integrated computers. So I'd like to get some feedback on dependability and experiences with hoseless/air-integrated rigs.

Do most people dive with a backup SPG or other form of redundancy (pony bottle gauge, etc)?

Ever experienced any failures or issues with reliability?

How's battery life? I usually log 4-6 dives a month...

I appreciate any feedback.

Most people I have seen diving with a hoseless rig haven't been diving with redundancy. That is not to say the shouldn't, it is just an observation. I have seen the transmitter fail and delay its readings (PIA when trying to get off the boat). That being said, I would always have a backup with a hoseless rig but doesn't that defeat the purpose for MOST people when buying it? On the flip side, with a hoseless rig, you can have redundant gauges without the clutter of adding a second 'hosed' gauge.

Redundancy as far as a pony bottle is not necessarily related to a hoseless rig but sure, its a good idea.

Most people I have seen diving with a hoseless rig haven't been diving with redundancy. That is not to say the shouldn't, it is just an observation. I have seen the transmitter fail and delay its readings (PIA when trying to get off the boat). That being said, I would always have a backup with a hoseless rig but doesn't that defeat the purpose for MOST people when buying it? On the flip side, with a hoseless rig, you can have redundant gauges without the clutter of adding a second 'hosed' gauge.

Redundancy as far as a pony bottle is not necessarily related to a hoseless rig but sure, its a good idea.

So do you own one and use a wireless system?

So do you own one and use a wireless system?

I did, but sold it so I could make some other purchases. I was very happy with it, although mine did have a bit of a delay to it. The purpose of me getting it was to have a back up spg, not to completely eliminate the hp hose; I added that little tidbit in my response because I am not too sure what the OP is looking for, redundancy or one less hose...

My wife has the Aeries Atmos Elite. Frankly I used to have a SPG on her rig more for my sanity than redundancy. It is designed, IMHO, to virtually take out all the thinking out of gas managment for recreational diving, which is fine if it is set up correctly. With the SPG on there I could glance at it and actually see where her air was. Her SAC rate is A LOT better than mine, so I'm the limiting factor anyway.

I've nearly completed DM. Working with students using my rig (BP/W, hog harness, long hose set up) wasn't ideal. I stole hers because she doesn't dive that much. I'm much closer to what the students are using in the pool.

I've removed the 'redundant' SPG.

I change the batteries in the transmitter on the 1st stage and the wrist unit annually and that seems to be fine. I carry backup batteries for both pieces. It takes 5 minutes to change out the batteries.

Personally I've found it to be dependable and it is really nice to actually look at your wrist and get your depth, time, and gas from one spot. I do like that, especially when diving with gloves on.

For recreational purposes, I'd say they are outstanding. I don't think the technical folk would agree they are the best option for technical purposes.

I don't mean carry a pony bottle, but rather use one of the small screw-in gauges that you would typically screw in on the first stage of a pony bottle. Sure, I'd have to sling my gear or have a buddy look at it. But it's better than nothing in a pinch. I am of the same mindset - if I'm going to go hoseless, I don't want to carry a SPG.

For most of the diving I do, I don't think it would be an issue. However, Aeris does make the recommendation several times throughout their product docs that you have a redundant SPG.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far.

I like the idea of the button gauge as a quick backup. Its cheap and is effective in a pinch...

For recreational purposes, I'd say they are outstanding. I don't think the technical folk would agree they are the best option for technical purposes.

Yeah, most of the guys I dive with are cavers and I never see any hoseless rigs. But I have ZERO interest in EVER going that far and if I do I'll adjust accordingly. Right now I'm getting into spearfishing. Outside of that I'm a recreational diver through and through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom