Hoseless SPG with transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What value is that information?

Your pony was tested full at the start of diving.

IF you have to switch to the alternate, your remaining air is irrelevant. Go up, end the dive. Knowing your remaining time by PSI, well… you have a bunch of other more important stuff going on.

Suck it dry.

It is incredible how dogmatic people here are about backmount pony bottles vs. slung, and the use of an SPG.

-Z

What value is that information?
If I've got a surface swim left and I'm low on air, I'll skip my safety stop. If I'm good on air I don't skip my safety stop.
I like to know my gas in my pony. That's all. It give me reassurance. And I don't like thanks on my front or side so my pony's on my back. That's what works for me.

If I've got a surface swim left and I'm low on air, I'll skip my safety stop. If I'm good on air I don't skip my safety stop.
I like to know my gas in my pony. That's all. It give me reassurance. And I don't like thanks on my front or side so my pony's on my back. That's what works for me.
If you have a surface swim then do it at 20ft and count that as your non mandatory stop. Who thinks you have to be still for a "safety stop"? You're still off gassing, although less affective, while active. Get up to 20ft and suck your pony dry and then do a buoyant ascent. If you've ever sucked a tank dry with unbalanced regs then you'd know you have 3-4 graduating harder breaths before you're out. 1st hard breath head up.

I recommend you drain your pony dry at 20ft and time it to see how long you have while actively swimming. I get 12 minutes at 20ft and 15 @ 15ft on my 13. I know how long before I need to look at the surface. I also know how many breaths mine gives me once it's pulling hard. Knowledge is life in this situation friend.

... If you've ever sucked a tank dry with unbalanced regs then you'd know you have 3-4 graduating harder breaths before you're out. 1st hard breath head up.

I recommend you drain your pony dry at 20ft and time it to see how long you have while actively swimming. I get 12 minutes at 20ft and 15 @ 15ft on my 13. I know how long before I need to look at the surface. I also know how many breaths mine gives me once it's pulling hard. Knowledge is life in this situation friend.
Oh, I think it’s more than that. I tested a steel 72 once with a MK2/R190 (both unbalanced) and I had about 40 breaths from when I noticed it starting to breathe hard to where it was like sucking through a straw. With a pony (depending on size) it would less than that but I still think it would more than 3-4 breaths.
So then after the R190 was pulling extremely hard, I switched back to my balanced G200B just to see the difference and it was like nothing was wrong. Pretty amazing how pneumatically balanced second stages can work with almost no tank pressure. Kinda scary actually, that’s why I recommend to someone with terrible tank pressure awareness to get unbalanced regs (both stages).

Oh, I think it’s more than that. I tested a steel 72 once with a MK2/R190 (both unbalanced) and I had about 40 breaths from when I noticed it starting to breathe hard to where it was like sucking through a straw. With a pony (depending on size) it would less than that but I still think it would more than 3-4 breaths.
So then after the R190 was pulling extremely hard, I switched back to my balanced G200B just to see the difference and it was like nothing was wrong. Pretty amazing how pneumatically balanced second stages can work with almost no tank pressure. Kinda scary actually, that’s why I recommend to someone with terrible tank pressure awareness to get unbalanced regs (both stages).
My pony has this setup. It works and since I have it de-tuned I only really notice it on the last 3-4 breaths.
20230115_155133.jpg
20230115_155145.jpg
20230115_155203.jpg

See? Reg sets ARE bulletproof.
Oldie and a goodie. It has helped turn a very sketchy situation into one that was mildly irritating. It also let's me solo without the wife caring beyond wanting a text before and after getting wet. I practice what I preach.

Being able to look at it will probably help calm me down.
Try skipping coffee.

I guarantee that if events cause you “need” to look at your pony SPG, there aint no calming anyone down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom