Hoseless SPG with transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And what if you're losing gas from your backmounted pony throughout the dive? I definitely like the ability to glance at my computer to get confirmation that my bailout gas is still there for when I need it.
What if you only have 1 point of failure instead of 3? Keep the reg near your face where you'll notice the flow and it's a non issue.

And what if you're losing gas from your backmounted pony throughout the dive? I definitely like the ability to glance at my computer to get confirmation that my bailout gas is still there for when I need it.
This is why a back-mounted pony is a bad idea.

What if you only have 1 point of failure instead of 3? Keep the reg near your face where you'll notice the flow and it's a non issue.
But you can also lose gas from the neck and the valve....

I just had a little button gauge in the port on my old pony
but
to those questioning an SPG on a pony....
let's say you started the dive with it already a little low...(reasons already presented and I'm sure it's not so hard to image others)
1 possible scenario is that you or your buddy needs to go on the pony. You're deep and a fair distance away from the anchor line to ascend. You might be thinking the pony is full based on your predive check but you're unaware that's it's now lower. Should be enough gas to make it back so you're returning at a relaxed pace. Or do you rush to the surface not knowing for sure your status? Do you take your time and risk sucking the last breath while still well below your safety stop or do you need to adjust to ascent? Might be nice to know real time!

I just had a little button gauge in the port on my old pony
but
to those questioning an SPG on a pony....
let's say you started the dive with it already a little low...(reasons already presented and I'm sure it's not so hard to image others)
1 possible scenario is that you or your buddy needs to go on the pony. You're deep and a fair distance away from the anchor line to ascend. You might be thinking the pony is full based on your predive check but you're unaware that's it's now lower. Should be enough gas to make it back so you're returning at a relaxed pace. Or do you rush to the surface not knowing for sure your status? Do you take your time and risk sucking the last breath while still well below your safety stop or do you need to adjust to ascent? Might be nice to know real time!
Your pony is for you, not your buddy. If you are buddy diving with a pony then your buddy should have a pony too. You shouldn’t become the air tanker for both of you.
If you’re buddy diving most people just use the octo, that’s what it’s for and loose the pony. Ponies are generally for solo redundancy.
If you’re that worried about it use an unbalanced 1st and unbalanced 2nd on your pony. That way it will gradually begin to draw harder and harder and give you some sense of final pressure. When they start to draw pretty hard you have about 300 psi left.
If you really insist on an SPG with a back mount pony then put one on and clip it off somewhere up front. It’s a free world you can do what you want, but to me it’s just a bunch of needless clutter.

If you’re that worried about it use an unbalanced 1st and unbalanced 2nd on your pony. That way it will gradually begin to draw harder and harder and give you some sense of final pressure. When they start to draw pretty hard you have a about 300 psi left.
What?

Reactions: xan
What if, what if, what if??
Bubble check your stuff first and make sure it’s not leaking. Keep your stuff serviced and in good shape. De-tune your pony reg so it won’t free flow.
If you’re diving that deep any relying on a pony for bailout then maybe consider going to backmount doubles with two regs and isolator valve.
If you’re worried about losing all your gas out of your backmount pony then switch to a slung pony instead with a short SPG and then you can pressurize and shut it down like you would a stage/deco bottle. You turn it on only when you need it.
All this has already been figured out in the tech world long ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom