Hoseless SPG with transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just get an AI computer compatible with the Aqualung transmitters (Aqualung, Shearwater and others) and 2 used transmitters. This way you have both your primary and pony pressure on your wrist together with all the other DC info. Much better.

Just get an AI computer compatible with the Aqualung transmitters (Aqualung, Shearwater and others) and 2 used transmitters. This way you have both your primary and pony pressure on your wrist together with all the other DC info. Much better.
There are not many computers that show the pressure on both connected transmitters/tanks simultaneously - if that's what you're after. On most computers, you have to manually switch to the other tank/transmitter to display the pressure.
To my knowledge, only some Shearwater and some Ratio computers can display two transmitters/pressures at the same time, when they're in sidemount mode. There may be other computers too, I'm not sure.

This is in basic scuba and I don't use a pony bottle, so please forgive me if these are dumb questions. I thought that a pony bottle was an emergency option, not something that was planned to be used (not a part of the dive plan per se). Wouldn't it be enough to check/confirm the pressure in the pony bottle before the dive begins and if you get to the point where the pony bottle is required, wouldn't you begin to ascend immediately using the pony bottle to get you to the surface? Wouldn't a "button SPG" on your pony bottle's 1st stage give you your pony bottle's pressure at the beginning of the dive? I am confused why you would need it mid-dive unless you were planning to use it as a part of your dive planning.

Of course, there is no need for you to justify your actions to me, I am just confused, not critical.

I am confused why you would need it mid-dive
If an emergency mandated the use of the pony, it might be comforting to see the expected pressure throughout the ascent.

This is in basic scuba and I don't use a pony bottle, for please forgive me if these are dumb questions. I thought that a pony bottle was an emergency option, not something that was planned to be used (not a part of the dive plan per se). Wouldn't it be enough to check/confirm the pressure in the pony bottle before the dive begins and if you get to the point where the pony bottle is required, wouldn't you begin to ascend immediately using the pony bottle to get you to the surface? Wouldn't a "button SPG" on your pony bottle's 1st stage give you your pony bottle's pressure at the beginning of the dive? I am confused why you would need it mid-dive unless you were planning to use it as a part of your dive planning.

Of course, there is no need for you to justify your actions to me, I am just confused, not critical.
A button SPG is indeed enough to check your pressure while kitting up before going in. It doesn't allow you to check pressure during your dive, especially not with the pony backmounted. I'd like the comfort to do that during the dive. I have both a button SPG and transmitter on my pony first stage. If I notice a problem with my pony's pressure, I end the dive.

If you can't find one, then I'd think about just using a second full computer as a gauge...just a small/simple one. that way you've got a backup computer/depth gauge as well!

Is this a thing? Just a small SPG that could clamp to the hose of my computer? Transmitter would go on my pony bottle. Current plan is to mount a small SPG to the pony bottle 1st stage, but remote would be cool and easy to read regardless of where the bottle resides.
There is no such thing.
Why would you need an SPG on a pony anyway?
Pony’s are for bailout. You check the pressure before the dive and if it’s rear mount it sits there and is typically never used unless you have a main gas supply failure on your single tank. Ponies are not supposed to be used to extend your dive. You also need to make sure your pony is big enough to bail you out of the max depth you plan to be diving at.
If it’s a slung stage/pony bottle then you use a regular SPG on a short hose that you can glance down at and read in a second.

There is no such thing.
Why would you need an SPG on a pony anyway?
Pony’s are for bailout. You check the pressure before the dive and if it’s rear mount it sits there and is typically never used unless you have a main gas supply failure on your single tank. Ponies are not supposed to be used to extend your dive. You also need to make sure your pony is big enough to bail you out of the max depth you plan to be diving at.
If it’s a slung stage/pony bottle then you use a regular SPG on a short hose that you can glance down at and read in a second.
And what if you're losing gas from your backmounted pony throughout the dive? I definitely like the ability to glance at my computer to get confirmation that my bailout gas is still there for when I need it.

Back
Top Bottom