Hoseless or Clueless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edmundsteele

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK guys, here is several hours research from a newly qualified diver who has yet to buy ANY scuba gear.

I like the concept of air integrated hoseless computers since I have the option to put the computer on my right wrist and control the BCD with my left hand and it is one less hose to mess with. Oh yes, I have read all the stuff from the purists who don’t believe in computers etc. never drag hoses, have memorized the RDP tables.
I have found 5 computers on leisurepro.com.

Aeris 750GT $450
Oceanic Datatrans $500
Cochran Gemini $600
Uwatec Aladin Air Z $600
Suunto Vytec $850

Gleaned from the forum members comments:
Aeris used to have transmission problems but have fixed them. Several negative comments found.
Ditto Cochran.
Oceanic Datatrans. Several negative comments found.
Uwatec. Battery not user changeable – Ouch!
Suunto. New model. The Suunto Cobra is the hands down favorite of A.I. “hosed” computers amongst forum users. The Vytec looks like a hoseless version of the Cobra. The Vytec is twice the price of the Cobra, Aeris etc. but I have seen no negatives on Suunto quality.

Have I missed any? Got it wrong?

Hi edmundsteele,

There was a initial release problem with the Vytec - it would fubar if you held a button down for more than two seconds after being in one particular menu - but it was a very specific set of circumstances that would crash it. Suunto has announced a recall of certain serial numbered Vytecs, and the current release of the Vytec no longer has this problem. I was able to get mine from SimplyScuba for less than $800 shipped, and they were specifically selling the post-bugfix version. So enquire before purchasing if you go with the Suunto if it is one with the updated firmware. I think it's a great computer from the use I've had out of it so far, however I do still keep an SPG on a 24" hose clipped off to a D-ring on my waist as backup. Note that if you're going the hoseless computer route, you should have your own regulator set - constantly removing and attaching the transmitter to different rental regs of sometimes dubious maintenance standards is NOT something I would want to submit a $400 transmitter to. You could buy both the computer and transmitter, and just use the computer in non-air integration mode if you are renting regs, and then put your transmitter onto a regulator set once you buy regulators. However a regulator purchase might be a more appropriate first purchase rather than a computer (unless you plan on getting both at the same time), as rental regulators are going to come with a SPG and depth gauge, or SPG and computer, in a console anyway.

cheers

Ben

Ed,

You may want to take into consideration the Nitrox and/or multiple gas mix capabilities of the various computers you are looking at. The Vytec is not simply a “hoseless” version of the Cobra as it adds the ability to switch between multiple gas mixes during the dive. This is a capability that you will pay for but may or may not use depending on your plans for the future.

Mike

Oceanic DataTrans Plus is virtually identical to Aeris 750GT, screen layout is slightly different.

Same specs, same characteristics. I imagine, if there is a problem, both are affected. So, there is no point of paying extra $50 for DTP. Plus, I like Aeris’ screen better, essential and non-essential info is separate.

I bought 750GT couple weeks ago. Five dives so far. Hoseless transmission seems to be working just fine, at least, while underwater. Saying that because last weekend I couldn’t get pressure reading during surface interval on a boat. I do carry a simple backup SPG, so it didn’t ruin my dive. Pressure reading resumed the moment I started the dive.

I do have a possible explanation for this behavior.

Owner’s manual says that transmitter goes into standby when there is no pressure (or zero pressure) applied. My theory (based on observations) is that it goes into standby after couple minutes of tank pressure not changing, no matter what the pressure is. And goes out of standby when it’s starting to change, e.g. when you open the tank valve or start consuming air.

Will need to experiment a little more to confirm this assumption.

By the way, I’ve heard complaints about transmission being interrupted underwater by photoflash.
My buddy was constantly taking pictures using a rather large flash. Didn’t affect the computer in any way.

One thing that does bother me a bit about 750GT/DTP is that the Dive Downloader software wuoldn't work on anything but Win9X or WinMe.

Ed,
you did miss one. Dacor Extreme Access. It's a cousin of 750GT and DTP. Available in a console or wrist version.

Also, buy Nitrox-capable one.

DataTrans Plus not the DataTrans
Air Z Nitrox not the Air Z

Sooner or later you will find yourself diving Nitrox and you'll need a Nitrox computer.

On the Uwatec computer you said that the battery wasn't changeable. I know that this is the case on the Uwatec Bottom timer (stays good for something like an avg of 100 dives/year for 11 years), but I thought you could change the battery in the computer. I could be wrong, anybody know?

Wendy once bubbled...
On the Uwatec computer you said that the battery wasn't changeable. I know that this is the case on the Uwatec Bottom timer (stays good for something like an avg of 100 dives/year for 11 years), but I thought you could change the battery in the computer. I could be wrong, anybody know?

Just not user changable. You have to take it to a dealer (I think they send it in from there)

Tom

I have owned the Oceanic model, UWatec and the Vytec. Each one has it pluses:

Oceanic: Easy screen to read, easy battery to replace

Uwatec: Good signal, I like the wrist strap, long life batteries

Vytec: Best dive table model, 3 gas switches

Neg. things:

Oceanic: Old tissue models, large computer

Uwatec: The wrist strap can wearout quick, old tissue model, different type of buttons.

Vytec: New computer, small screen.

I like the Uwatec and Vytec overall, don't worry about the battery thing with Uwatec, I dove about 150 times with mine and it was still at 87%.

I no longer have any of these since I now like a basic spg and bottom timer, but that is for another topic....

Back
Top Bottom