ZHL-16/GF AI computer with "bookmark" feature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming the fixed offset...
Seriously? You think the drift will be that much over an hour?
You are just arguing now to be obstinate, not helpful to the OP.

The metadata from all the digital cameras I've owned shows the capture time to the second.
My Shearwaters also display seconds in the downloaded data.
That helps if the offset is known to the second instead of to the nearest two minutes. Or if there was some way to put a tag on the PDC' s timeline when I took a picture, say like a bookmark function.

What I do is to take a snap of the computer's display and put a bookmark in the computer more or less simultaneously. That way both devices have info about the other device's time, and the offset can be found with enough precision. Just for good measure I usually do it twice, one early in the dive and once towards the end.

It's of course completely unnecessary, but I enjoy being able to know that "this coral was at 28m, and that nudi was at 3m".

I guess the Eon Steel will do it as other Suuntos do it. My HelO2 does bookmarks, usually when I am trying to switch gas :).

Eon Steels are getting ZHL16 soon according to some stuff reported from DEMA.

Or for half the money you could get an HelO2 and worry about whether you changed the battery last year or the year before. :) unless you really want to have very short SIs, and I don’t think you do, the Suunto algorithm will not make a difference.

Subsurface can be used to sync photos with dive profiles. You can do it manually (batch adding or subtracting seconds/minutes/hours/days to your photos), but there is also another very nice way. I'm pasting from the manual (Section 5.5.1) that you can find here https://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/subsurface-4-user-manual/ :

"There is a very slick way of achieving synchronization, requiring a photograph of the face of the dive computer showing the time. Subsurface gets the exact time the photograph was taken, using the metadata the camera stores within each photo and compares this with the time visible on the photo. To do this, use the bottom half of the Time shift dialog. In this case the top part of the dialog is ignored. Click on the horizontal bar called Select image of dive computer showing time. This brings up a file browser for selecting the photograph of the dive computer time. Select the photograph using the file browser and click on OK. This photograph of the dive computer appears in the bottom panel of the Shift times dialog. Now Subsurface knows exactly when the photograph was taken. Now set the date-time dialog to the left of the photo so it reflects the date and time of the dive computer in the photo. When the date-time tool has been set, Subsurface knows exactly what the time difference between camera and dive computer is, and it can synchronize the devices. The image below shows a photograph of the face of the dive computer and with the date-time tool set to the date-time."

In practice this is much easier than it sounds. You need to take a picture of your computer showing the time any time during your dive trip or shortly afterwards in case you forgot (even back home)! Then select the picture of your computer in Subsurface, type the time you see on your computer in the picture and subsurface does the rest! Basically it calculates the offset between your computer and the camera and applies it to all your images.

Do this once for every trip of yours and your pictures will be synced down to the second. That's assuming your trip is not long enough to have more than a second drift to your computer or the camera. If your trips are that long (lucky you) you can do it every now and then (once in a week or every few days) to be sure.

@stepfen : Thanks for the tip. Just one nitpick:

Do this once for every trip of yours and your pictures will be synced down to the second.
...provided your computer displays time down to seconds :) Otherwise, we're still looking at up to a minute's worth of deviation. That's my problem today: While the downloaded computer log shows time in increments of ten seconds, I can't get the computer to show seconds on the display. And dive start time is with a precision of one minute.

What about you have the computer and camera ready and wait until the minutes digit change to take the picture. You will have accuracy down to 1 second or 2. That's the best I can think of...

What about you have the computer and camera ready and wait until the minutes digit change to take the picture. You will have accuracy down to 1 second or 2. That's the best I can think of...
I can't think of anything better either :)

Not photography related unfortunately, but a company that was acquired by GoPro and seemingly deprecated used to make an application that would sync with a data source and overlay a graphic with whatever telemetry data you fed it. I have seen several videos of scuba dives where the computer data was used and it showed depth/time/deco/etc. over the video of the dive.

Shame it’s seemingly defunct, it was a cool feature for the video realm.
There's a dive camera called the paralenz that will do things like overlay depth automatically and do digital color correction adjustments continuously based on depth. Obviously you aren't going to get pressure data and I don't think they calculate decompression data but they do show time, depth, temp onscreen if you choose to in videos shot with paralenz.

Here's a thread about it: Paralenz Dive Camera...

Seriously? You think the drift will be that much over an hour?
You are just arguing now to be obstinate, not helpful to the OP.

I'm pointing out that accurate time sync is a non-trivial exercise. Bookmarks are the best way to achieve what @Storker wants.

@Storker
from the Teric manual:

upload_2019-1-17_11-9-16.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom