Hoseless or Clueless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do go "hoseless" make sure that the transmitter can fit on your first stage. I have a Cobra and dive with a Poseidon first stage. I understand that the Vytec transmitter doesn't fit on the Poseidon first stage.

I don't know if the above is true or not. Hoseless sounds good but I have found that if I route my computer hose correctly and hook it to my BC then I don't have to move my arm and wrist(important when you're trying to shoot a good photo) to see my computer screen. There is also just one less battery to replace in the hose model-and it's $400 less! IMHO the great benefit of the Vytec is the ability to switch gas models and that's about it-it can be a big advantage or just incidental. I usually don't dive nitrox or anything other than air-yet.

As far as the Uwatec batteries not being user changeable....don't worry about it. Those batteries last FOREVER!! I've put 40 dives on my SmartCOM....and so far, the battery percentage has gone down 2%. I still have 97% power left.

So even thought it is not user changeable...you won't be dealing with it very often.

My Uwatec Air X Nitrox has just done its 1000th dive and it still had 40% charge left in it.

The amount of times you change the batteries in those other ones it still comes out cheaper to get the uwatec.

I have also just upgraded to the AirZ Nitrox and love it. Without a doubt the best computer I have used.

http://www.uwatec.com.au

Chris

Logged another batch of dives with my 750GT...

As I mentioned earlier (see my post above) I did not experience any problems with hoseless transmission in the dive mode (underwater), but the computer seemed to be acting out while on surface. In attempt to explain this I made an assumption about going into standby while tank pressure isn't changing.... incorrect.

All I need to do is to press a button on the main unit and it reconnects right away as long as the transmitter is reasonably close (several feet). Once it looses signal on surface (e.g. I walk too far away from my rig) it does not attempt to reconnect until a button is pressed or a dive began. So, the mystery solved. :D

Underwater it does very well, photoflash, metal wrecks (including being inside of those) do not cause any problems.

Where in Missouri is there a 200ft dive site, Joplin??? Blue Orongo??

Uwatec Air Z Nitrox - and the batteries are liek the christmas duracell adverts that go on and on and on.....

I owned the Oceanic DataTrans + brand new it leaked on the surface on my first dive with it, took it back and bought a Suunto Cobra - which I absolutely love - I'm planning to get the Vytec next year.

I also own a Cochran Gemini Plus - it has gone back to the manufacturer for repairs on the pressure transducer - which came disconnected internally, a problem which they acknowledged occurs often in the early model of Gemini Plus. I really like the computer - except it doesn't display time of day (lame, but newer models claim to have it finally after years). On the boat or at the beach it is difficult to make quick changes to settings. It involves the use of a coin (actually ships with a real U.S. Quarter in the box which they non-jokingly call the battery change tool.) Some changes don't work with the coin but require a wet finger.

But the real guts are on the tank mount (unlike the vytec and datatrans which have only a transducer and transmitter on the tank). The problem with this Cochran design is you can't take it (easily) into the coffee shop after the dive to fill out your logbook. you could of course setup a high pressure quick disconnect - but it is already so bulky. Also the software really stinks - it is so poorly written and awkward (being in the internet software business for my day job makes me ultra critcal of elegant simplicity which Cochran Anyalist totally lacks).

As a result of all of these hassles it has become my secondary - behind the cobra.

For sure I've played with the new Vytec it rocks. All the benefits and good looks of the Mosquito and Spyder watch with Air Integration - what more could you ask for!

That is right, get a clueless computer. Personally, I am not real fired up about hoseless AI computers because they involve two battery powered devices knstead of one, plus all the radio hardware. Seems like an extra $500 to pay when a SPG does the job.

So far as Aladin/Uwatec batteries go, I have a 4.5 year old pro nitrox with 240 dives on it and the battery reads 69%. Flooded battery chambers are one of the most frequent forms of computer failure on units with user replaceable batteries. OTOH, most units with user removable batteries can be reset before a mandatory 24/48 lockout expires if you want to chance it. I would not worry too much about lockouts with a Uwatec it typical recreational diving. Mine has only gone into the deco mode once since I had it, and it cleared after about 10 seconds.

OTOH, the Vytec does have 2 gas capability, should you ever want to use a stage bottle filled with high FO2 deco gas. Note that the new Suunto computers are the most conservative on the market. They will cut your next dive's bottom time if you do not make a safety stop.

I don't care for the others that much.

leadweight once bubbled...
Personally, I am not real fired up about hoseless AI computers because they involve two battery powered devices knstead of one, plus all the radio hardware.

Hoseless AI - these are synonomous terms.

If were talking about hose based computers then we're talking air integration. Just because your SPG sits in a console connected to a pressure gauge that is connected to the tank - doesn't make the computer hose based.

Therefore, if were talking about hoseless computers were always talking about air integration.

A computer in watch form, that measures depth, time, and temperature is not referred to as a hoseless computer. These types have been around a long long time, and never had the distinction of being called hoseless. Just to clarify this thread is about AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom