Hoseless dive comps.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ineedgills

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a computer soon and wonder what some of your opinions are on some hoseless dive computers. I think it would be great to be able to look at your wrist and see how much air you have left.

I have only been diving about 6 months now but due to my work schedule I can dive about 8 times each week =). Your opinions are greatly appreciated.:bounce:

Well, you've asked for opinions, and I'll be happy to give you mine. I use a Suunto Vytec hoseless computer that I keep on my right wrist. It's quite handy, and I'm glad I've got it, but I also have an SPG (Submersible Pressure Gauge) clipped off on my left side that I check periodically as well. Just my personal choice, but I won't totally rely on a hoseless computer for tank pressure. What brands/models have you looked at?

I think your two main choices if buying new are the Suunto Vytec and the Oceanic VT Pro.

I own the VT Pro and love it so far (15 dives) Very large graphics, great lighting and only two buttons to mess with.

It's also a little less expensive (650.00) than the Vytec.

Personally, I don't like them. I'm going out there a bit, but they definitely increase the likeliness of something going wrong. The chances of battery failure are what turn me off the most. Also, the transmitter sits on the first stage, in a place where it can easily be bumped.

Now, on the other hand, I think they're a great toy. Allowing the computer to calculate remaining gas time with consideration to the current gas consumption is very cool. When I finally get a new computer, it will be hoseless - but I'll also carry a high pressure gauge.

I've been using the air-z nitrox now for a couple years for recreational dives, often with some planned deco time involved. They seem quite well suited to that task. They seem to be the comp of choice here with the instructors and frequent divers. That said, I still have a redundant console for depth, presure, and compass. I personally find it easier to follow a compass held farther out in front of me than I can get my wrist.
After a couple years and hundreds of dives, the battery is still over 80%, so they last a long time. If I had to be critical of it, it would be the PC interface, you have to get a memo mouse to download, that's an additional item and not as high tech as the "Smart" computer's interface.

Darlene

Thanks for the all opinions. I haven't reallly looked at alot of models. I just happened to see a couple on diversdiscount.com and thought it was a neat idea.

After reading through this forum I will definatley be getting some type of computer though, seems like their advantages vastly outweigh the disadvantages. Once again, thanks!

I'm with Gearhead on this, I use a Suunto Vytec but have a redundant SPG with a console mount Vyper. I just tuck it under my front strap over the cummerbund and don't even notice it's there until I need it.

I just bought a bottom timer. It doesn't have any hoses and I wouldn't have it any other way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom