Hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iAmLevis

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using rental gear since I started diving, and the rental regs (oceanic) always had a swivel build into them. Using the swivel, I was able to get 3 hoses (con, octo, BC hose) over the left shoulder, and 1 hose (2nd stage) over the right.

I went ahead a bought a reg of my own, now (Mares mr12) and it does not have a swivel. I could still possible have 3 hoses coming over one shoulder, but if I do that the BC hose sticks up a few inches over my shoulder... No big deal, but it seems very clutter-y.

Should I have the BC-hose and octo coming to the left, and have the octo and primary coming over the right? Octo has an extra-long hose, so there's room to finagle.

What are people generally doing? Pics would be great :)

Thanks!

I'm a newbie - but that is what I have dived an how my instructor taught us (lots-o-experience with this guy).

People route the primary and octo off the right and the BC inflator and the SPG/Console/Computer off the left.

When using an octo I much prefer it to come off the left side. It is better for sharing face to face for ascending and better for sharing side by side when swimming (doner on the right). There are less bends in the hose and you have more room to move.

SPG and BC inflator on the left.

(That said, I prefer the long hose for most of my diving. Then both regs come off the right.)

Have you read about the Hogarthian gear setup (i.e. DIR)? The theory is you breath your primary off a 5-7 ft hose and attach your backup to a bungie necklace. You then donate your primary to your buddy and breath off your backup. Might help with your hose routing. Just a thought.

Thomas

I've read alot about DIR, and have considered it. For now, tho, I'm gonna go with what i've got.

Kowalczyk sucks.

It looks like you buddy (from your profile pic) has it right. The primary over the right shoulder, the octo down the back and under the right arm attached ner the lower right rib cage. LP inflator how and console hose on the left. I was always taught "regs on the right"

iAmLevis once bubbled...
I've read alot about DIR, and have considered it. For now, tho, I'm gonna go with what i've got.

You didn't say if your second and octo are the same, but what I would do with your setup is necklace the short primary second, and breath the longer octo. Not the most streamlined setup, but if you don't want to change what you have, that at least keeps both regs under control and gives some extra room to a buddy in OOA.

Phil

This has been debated a few times (without conclusion, as usual)

The octo on the left just seems to make so much more sense than on the right.

When you are swimming the hose goes straight from your right side (where the output of the 1st is) into your buddies left side (where the input to the 2nd is). No bends required

When you are ascending face to face to hose goes straight from your right side (where the output of the 1st is) in a big arc into your buddies left side (where the input to the 2nd is). One large bend required.

The only position that makes sense with the octo on the left is if the sharer stares at the back of the doners head or vice versa. Not ideal.

that makes total sense! It took me a minute to picture it in my head, but you're right, that was a major pain doing the AAO breath. I came right back and put a swivel on my octo for that reason alone.

Back
Top Bottom