Hose change - wrench size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm switching the hoses on my Apeks regulator to long hose primary, short hose octo, and was wondering about the wrench sizes necessary.

I have plenty of good quality (i.e. close to accurately sized) wrenches, both metric and standard. However, the nut sizes at the first stage is 14.2mm or 0.561" (9/16") and at the second stage 17.3mm or 0.684" (3/4").

Since Apeks is made in the UK, I would have thought metric sizes would be a good fit, but quite frankly it's not - certainly not good enough that I would trust that I wouldn't round of corners of the nut. As matter of fact, at the 1st stage, 9/16" is a much closer fit than a 15mm wrench.

So am I looking at really odd size nuts or am I dealing with 14mm and 17mm nuts that just "grew" due to chrome plating? Or would a tech use special wrenches?

Realistically I'll just pad the nut with electrical tape, which would then 1) protect the chrome and 2) tighten up the fit. Hopefully the nuts aren't torqued too hard. Where I can fit an adjustable I'll use that.

Wrt. special wrenches: the metal stub on the 2nd stages that receive the hose has a very narrow bit of hex flats on it. Much too narrow to fit a standard thickness wrench. I'm guessing that some sort of flat, stamped steel type wrench is what I'm looking for?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Henrik

They seem to come in a variety of sizes. I just use whatever wrench fits. :D

I use my metric cresent wrench. It usually work fine

Apeks use Imperial threads and nuts, so your 9/16" and 3/4" spanners are the ones to use.

I would use an adjustable wrench. Makes things much easier. I have one in my save a dive kit.

Maybe they have gone back to Wentworth sizing?

Dave

Back
Top Bottom