Horse Collar BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first is that I have no muscle memory for locating the dump valve lanyard (spent a lot of time groping around for it) and that (I think) the crotch and back straps need to be properly tightened. (

Dale, I've been diving my horsecollars for several years now, and I STILL have trouble finding the pull string most times. It tends to float around alot.

Just don't get the crotch strap even a little too tight. Makes for a very unenjoyable dive:shocked2:

BTW, the helium-filled ScubaPro gauge doesn't say it is helium filled. It is large, black-faced with a dial that goes around 1 1/2 times to 500 feet. The bezel is chromed, and the rear is in a black rubber boot. Aw, heck...there's a picture of one here about a third of the way down on the right:
http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/accsview.html

I take all of the little pull do dads off and just tie a knot and burn it on all of my BCs.

N

Just don't get the crotch strap even a little too tight. Makes for a very unenjoyable dive:shocked2:

My New OS US Divers and one of my Seatec BCs have the "Diamond" style harness, much more comfortable.

BTW, the helium-filled ScubaPro gauge doesn't say it is helium filled. It is large, black-faced with a dial that goes around 1 1/2 times to 500 feet. The bezel is chromed, and the rear is in a black rubber boot. Aw, heck...there's a picture of one here about a third of the way down on the right:
Vintage Scuba Diving Accessories Collection

I have one of those "helium" depth gauges. Scubapro was never too clear about why they called it that, so people assumed that it was helium-filled. It is not, as the manual said that you could loosen the screw in the center to allow ambient air pressure to enter it in order to compensate it for altitude. As far as I know, the reason it was called a "helium" gauge is that the 500' range would allow it to be used by divers breathing helium mixtures.

I also have two Nemrod horse collars. One was the orange one with the tiny air bottle at the bottom in front. The other is a yellow one without the air bottle. I added a power inflator to the yellow one, but left the oral inflator on the orange one because I used it for breath-hold diving for abalone.

I have one of those "helium" depth gauges. Scubapro was never too clear about why they called it that, so people assumed that it was helium-filled. It is not, as the manual said that you could loosen the screw in the center to allow ambient air pressure to enter it in order to compensate it for altitude. As far as I know, the reason it was called a "helium" gauge is that the 500' range would allow it to be used by divers breathing helium mixtures.

Thankyou. This makes sense. To be honest, I also wondered about the equalization screw allowing air to enter/leave the gauge and the supposed helium being inside.

If anyone has a spare oral-inflation hose for a USD horsecollar BC, I need one. I have an old yellow USD horsecollar that I believe is still good, but I'm missing the hose. Thanks.

If anyone has a spare oral-inflation hose for a USD horsecollar BC, I need one. I have an old yellow USD horsecollar that I believe is still good, but I'm missing the hose. Thanks.

I trashed a bladder in one a while back...I am certain the pack rat in me would not let a good hose go...let me look around. It's yours for shipping if I find it...Check the bladder and the connections no your BC. The connections got very brittle and are usually the first thing to go. Even if they are holding air, I would be wary of them and no need putting a hose on very brittle connections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom