Horse Collar BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brings back fond memories of pre BCD days, with no SPG, the "J" valves, black tunnel masks, huge leg knives, and no buoyancy control. Made diving a bit more interesting at times.

No BC of any sort and I assure you I have perfect buoyancy control even with camera in tow. However, I have given up on vintage masks, the Atomic Frameless makes rotten vintage rubber impossible to return to.

IMG_1639_edited-1.jpg

I have never seen a USD horsecollar that did not leak and then fall apart and the inflater is a beast to itself.

N

I actually like the power inflator on the USD horse collar BCs. But, I too have had most of the bladders fail.

I picked up a NOS Black US Divers Horsecollar, the one with the screened on Logo. Will see how long it lasts. I like the placement of the power inflater, not as obtrusive with the two hose regulator.

I believe Dan at Vintage scuba supply.com has some new old stock replacement bladders for the USD horsecollars.

Sam, What size are your Scubapro horse collar BC's? Also could you post a photo? Thanks,
Bob S

Horse collars are one size fits all.

Just picked up this BC today. Seatec custom (never used) with packaged LP inflator hose, owners manual and warrenty card. CO2 attachment valve under the pocket. $20 (did I pay too much?)

Picture100.jpg

Looking forward to diving it with this complicated rig:

Picture041.jpg

Dale, that's a nice setup! I bet you'll find it even more comfortable without a BC (unless the exposure protection has to be super thick there because of the weather and all). BTW, 20 beans for a seatec is a heckuva deal.

Just picked up this BC today. Seatec custom (never used) with packaged LP inflator hose, owners manual and warrenty card. CO2 attachment valve under the pocket. $20 (did I pay too much?)

Picture100.jpg

Looking forward to diving it with this complicated rig:

Picture041.jpg

No, that is very nice BC. I have one like it, purchased new, the Sea Tec has become the choice of discerning vintage divers. Use it with the power inflator or remove the power inflator and use an oral inflator (hard to find). Remove the CO2 cartridge and plug with a 3/8 plug from a LP port.

However, diving a horsecollar with the older Navy (Sea Hunt) style harness is IMO difficult and potentially dangerous. While both pieces are vintage, they are not of the same vintage period, mixing pieces from different times can be a challenge. By the time the horsecollar came on the scene most divers were using the conventional single piece ( Hog type) harness on a plastic plate such as a Voit Snug Pack.

N

I agree, seatec was and is one of the better horsecollar bc's on the market.......here is a photo of mine...purchased in the late 70's and still going strong..........

Mejune2109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom