Horse Collar BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great buy. I have two black customs and a red/orange regular SeaTec. I love your yellow! I retained the CO2 on my manual inflates, and took it off the power inflated one. BTW, you can manually inflate the power inflator without a hose attached with no problems if you want to switch back and forth and don't want to give up the power inflate conector.

I usually wear a vintage-style harness with mine when diving salt. In fact, it's my rig of choice. No problems. The only difficulty is lacing the harness' chest strap under the horsecollar, but with practice it isn't really all that hard. Make sure to leave the bitter end out so you can undo your tank in a hurry if necessary.

Horsecollar.
Tank (over the head, of course!).
Weight belt.
In that order. Make sure the back of the horsecollar does not get stuck under your shoulder straps and away you go!

Picture100.jpg

Dale,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that?

It's Very nice. Is it new, old stock?

They don't have one quite like that on the 4seatec web-site

Thanks, 8

Paid too much.....more like you should keep watching for the police for stealing it. :) Now, what reg are you going to put with it?

8, I bought it at a flea market and yes, it appears to be (unused) new/old stock. The guy also had a wrist mounted scubapro depth gauge for $10 but I ran out of money. Next time I suppose.

Herman, the last thing piece I need is a double hose but I think for the era I can also use an older single hose set up. I ran across two recently but didn't know if they were a deal or not. One was a scubapro 1st and 2nd (chrome diaphram cover that just said scubapro) and a swimmaster 1st and 2nd (chrome also). Both were $100 each. I keep thinking I will come across one cheaper than that though.

I am currently on Gabriola Island and may test the horse collar today. If I don't post back you'll know how that went. Yesterday I was snorkeling with a US divers wrap a round mask and some Voit custom duck feet. They are my new favorite bare foot fins as they work and fit better than the modern models.

8, I bought it at a flea market and yes, it appears to be (unused) new/old stock. The guy also had a wrist mounted scubapro depth gauge for $10 but I ran out of money. Next time I suppose.

Herman, the last thing piece I need is a double hose but I think for the era I can also use an older single hose set up. I ran across two recently but didn't know if they were a deal or not. One was a scubapro 1st and 2nd (chrome diaphram cover that just said scubapro) and a swimmaster 1st and 2nd (chrome also). Both were $100 each. I keep thinking I will come across one cheaper than that though.

I am currently on Gabriola Island and may test the horse collar today. If I don't post back you'll know how that went. Yesterday I was snorkeling with a US divers wrap a round mask and some Voit custom duck feet. They are my new favorite bare foot fins as they work and fit better than the modern models.

Hope that "wrist mounted" gauge was not the "helium" gauge you passed up or the one with the removable back?

N

Hope that "wrist mounted" gauge was not the "helium" gauge you passed up or the one with the removable back?

N

I plan to check this Sunday :eyebrow:

Well, learned two things while diving the horsecollar. The first is that I have no muscle memory for locating the dump valve lanyard (spent a lot of time groping around for it) and that (I think) the crotch and back straps need to be properly tightened. Mine weren't and when I experimented on the surface the BC floated up too high to keep my head adequately out of the water (ok in calm seas but not for a chop).
Other than that I really enjoyed it and plan to use it for my single tank dives.
Funny that I was visiting a freind that is older than me (63) and remembers diving with the same kind of BC. I kept hinting about looking through his old dive gear but he wouldn't bite :(

I plan to check this Sunday :eyebrow:

Well, learned two things while diving the horsecollar. The first is that I have no muscle memory for locating the dump valve lanyard (spent a lot of time groping around for it) and that (I think) the crotch and back straps need to be properly tightened. Mine weren't and when I experimented on the surface the BC floated up too high to keep my head adequately out of the water (ok in calm seas but not for a chop).
Other than that I really enjoyed it and plan to use it for my single tank dives.
Funny that I was visiting a freind that is older than me (63) and remembers diving with the same kind of BC. I kept hinting about looking through his old dive gear but he wouldn't bite :(

Dive a horsecollar BC as if you did not have it.

Put the horsecollar on first, your harness second and weight belt last. Of course, adjusting the straps as you found out is first but once adjusted and having it on UNDER all of the other equipment will help fix it in place. At least it does for me.

N

Dale... I have a USD yellow horse collar from my step-dads collection. I'm curious to try it out with the twin 50's and the USD backplate/Harness.

Good luck, those didn't age well at all. Almost all I have seen have had the bladder disintergrate including the one I had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom