Horizontal ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like horizontal ascents because it's easier to control my bouyancy with the extra resistance. I flip on my back during the last 10 ft of ascent or go vertical because I cannot see and my buddy does vertical ascents and is usually at the surface while I'm still at 10ft and just starting my 10ft/min ascent rate.

Unfortunately I still have trouble maintaining my bouyancy while upside down, so I have to work on that a bit more.

Aloha, Tim

I was told in my DIR-F Class that the Lungs have greater vascularization in the middle to lower third of the organ as a whole. Therefore you would have slightly more efficiency in off-gassing from a Horizontal Position vs. a Vertical Position, because a greater cross-section of that Lung vascularization is exposed to the absolute pressure/gradient effects as you progress along by your Deco Schedule/Profile or Safety Stop. Put in another way, visualize it as cutting a thin slice through the entire length of the Lung, as opposed to a transverse thin slice through only the width: which would yield a greater tissue cross-section?

Basically what Kevrumbo was trying to say is that in a horizontal position the lower lung section is closer to (or at) the pressure of the gas your breathing. If your lower lungs are a vertical foot from your regs it will significantly reduce your abillity to exchange gas in those lower regions of your lungs where there exists greater vasculariztion. Try going to a pool with a snorkel, postion yourself vertically with the tip just at the surface and try and breath. Good luck. The effect with a snorkel will be greater than with a reg since the the pressure difference is more significant. So when your coming up like a drowned Sat. rat. this effect will still be quite significant.

as the ohthers already mentioned breathing is the key while remaining neutrally buoyand. had a hard time in the beginning but youl notice is that youl ascent a breath at a time. i only fin when i want to remain stable.

even more when you start doing 1m increments and hanging deco..........

Kevrumbo:
I was told in my DIR-F Class that the Lungs have greater vascularization in the middle to lower third of the organ as a whole. Therefore you would have slightly more efficiency in off-gassing from a Horizontal Position vs. a Vertical Position, because a greater cross-section of that Lung vascularization is exposed to the absolute pressure/gradient effects as you progress along by your Deco Schedule/Profile or Safety Stop. Put in another way, visualize it as cutting a thin slice through the entire length of the Lung, as opposed to a transverse thin slice through only the width: which would yield a greater tissue cross-section?

I'd rather not visualize my lungs cut apart in that manner, thank you very much! :D

Good analogy , however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom