Horizontal ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
Can we have scientific proof of this? Our lungs aren't big bags of air btw..........I would assume when I breath in, all the cavities in my lungs fill with air equally.

Come on, you've been around long enough that you should know that the "more efficient offgassing in the horizontal position" argument never goes anywhere conclusive.

I'm adopting a horizontal position in the water column so that I can learn to maintain better buoyancy control at stops. I'll let the cyberdivers argue about what it does to offgassing.

ShakaZulu:
Can we have scientific proof of this? Our lungs aren't big bags of air btw..........I would assume when I breath in, all the cavities in my lungs fill with air equally.
It isn't just the lungs, but the entire body that benefits from the prone position. A horizontal diver better takes advantage of the offgassing than a vertical diver, just how much is easy enough to calculate: if you're trying to maximize your offgassing by stopping at 10 feet, what's the effect of having your feet at 15 feet?

It may not make much difference to a recreational diver making an "optional" safety stop, but a decompression diver facing a long hang in cold water is going to be looking at most anyway he can to increase the effectiveness of the plan...or trim minutes.

Adobo:
It's unfortunate that this topic is not openly and frequently discussed in the newbie and general discussion forums.

Oh we keep trying every once and while, but it gets old being called koolaide drinkers etc...

Occasionally we get the stray diver like yourself that gets caught in our net, then the feeding frenzy begins. :D

This stuff is pretty basic technique that takes initiative to learn. Most rec. divers aren't into putting the time and energy to perfecting the skills.

pennypue:
I started doing horizontal ascents well before I took Dir-F.

And I'm thrilled to hear that someone else enjoys an occasional face up ascent. :D
I get a lot of grief for this from a certain SO DIR-F DB of mine. But I find it be be incredibly relaxing. Rad, I'd like to play that game with you and your DB too!!!!

Oh sure...now you're looking for new dive buddies.... bored already? :D

ShakaZulu:
Can we have scientific proof of this? Our lungs aren't big bags of air btw..........I would assume when I breath in, all the cavities in my lungs fill with air equally, irrespective if I'm horizontal/vertical.

It's not all that "scientific" but what I do to for a practical demonstration to a newer diver is to have them close the exhaust valve on their dry suit before entering the water. Without adding any air to the suit, standing in 4'-5' of water, there is noticeable squeeze on their legs and their upper body looks like the Michelin Man. If they are in a wet suit, I do it to mine.

This is the pressure difference of only 5' or what would be encountered if they were in a vertical position while ascending or off-gassing. Since most people raise their computer or SPG to near their head to read their guage, if you are vertical, your legs are being subjected to greater pressure than what you're reading on your guage and are not off-gassing as effectively as you think.

At least that's how I explain it.

OE2X:
Oh we keep trying every once and while, but it gets old being called koolaide drinkers etc...

Occasionally we get the stray diver like yourself that gets caught in our net, then the feeding frenzy begins. :D

This stuff is pretty basic technique that takes initiative to learn. Most rec. divers aren't into putting the time and energy to perfecting the skills.

Not related to kool aid or DIR necessarily but I did make an effort to share my personal experience around a new class called essentials to recreational diving. The thread is:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116583

Hopefully some other newbies find it useful and gain some interest in finding out more about what basic skills all divers (not just tech or cave divers) should have.

wb416:
Oh sure...now you're looking for new dive buddies.... bored already? :D
NEVER.

But I have to do something while you're cave diving!!!!

I do it because it looks cool in formation with your buddies.......................:D

Meng_Tze:
I do it because it looks cool in formation with your buddies.......................:D

I have to go with this one too. Rule #6 applies.

~ Jason

and dont forget rule #7

'If you mess up, pretend it you meant to do that' then revert back to Rule #6

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom