Hopping my way to full cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need to preface this with my struggles in dealing with all the gear I need to carry. My first attempt was to do something similar to how I dive back mount. I put my back up flashlights one of each harness D ring, and held them down with a bungee. I put my reels on my butt plate. And used a thigh pouch to carry the rest (wet notes, spare mask, safety spool).

After my day with Dene I found that the thigh pouch didn't work for me, so I pulled out a butt pouch that I had from attempting to use it with back mount. I attached using double enders using the same D rings that you attach the rear of the tanks. On my second day with Reggie I noted that one of my back up flashlights (Xtar D26s) kept on coming despite being locked. So I put that one in my butt pack. As mentioned after dive 1, and the other light come on during the dive, I decided I would try hanging that light from the butt plate.

Now that we've cut the brake lines, let's put this train in motion.

Dive 2:
We start the briefing at the picnic table, same team as last time with the plan for this dive is to take the Peanut line until we reach 50cuft of penetration gas, or to the new Apprentice penetration limit of 1,000 ft which ever came first. After we turn the dive on the way back we would do a lost buddy drill, followed by a lost light drill. Since I ended the last dive with an average of 2,800psi in my tanks we would be reusing the same tanks. After that Harry described what we would be diving through and some of the stuff he will be pointing out.

We make our way to the water to suit up, while there a couple of locals came over to look at the spring. While Harry and myself were gear up we talked with them, it ended up that the dude had Sheck as his math teacher in school. Kind of cool the random people you meet.

Once in the water we did all the same in water checks and briefings as the last dive, followed by Harry leading the descent into the cave. Once to mainline, Harry put an arrow on the line (I think on the reel side), and put a jump reel on the arrow and ran it to the Peanut line. It is my understanding, though I'm not 100% sure, that this is also a training thing, and that normally that divers will just go to the Peanut line. Nervousness from the first dive was gone so I was pretty comfortable, I was able to just concentrate on not silting and taking in the scenery. Overall the way out was pretty uneventful, that changed when we got to the junction where we would turn the dive.

I see Harry stop, look around, and then put a cookie on the line. I was a little confused as I thought I would be the one putting the cookie on the line for the lost buddy drill, but I figured maybe the plans changed, so I start reaching behind me for my safety reel, well with all the crap I had on my butt plate I couldn't find the damn reel. After a bit of screwing around, and even unclipping my butt pouch, Harry refastens my butt pouch signals that we are heading back. At some point on the way back Reggie signals that we would be doing the lost buddy drill. This time things go a little better, other than the cookies being a little tight, I was able to find my safety reel moderately quickly and deployed it on the line. And did the zig zag through the room until I found my lost buddy. I send him down the line, and felt that I did it pretty well. I reel back, stow my reel, cleaned the main line up and continued toward the exit.

I don't remember if it was before or after the lost buddy drill, I remember seeing a very clear hand print in the silt on the floor. I wondered how long that hand print was there, and how long it would stay there. And I vowed that I would do everything in my power to avoid doing that myself. We get to the breakdown, and I notice that Reggie purposely got in front of me, I think so I had an instructor both in back and in front of me as we make our way through the conduit. Once out of the conduit Reggie comes up to me and signals that my primary light just died. He covers his light as I turn off and stow my primary light. And get to trying to find my back up light on my butt plate. I just couldn't find the damn thing and couldn't unzip my butt pouch, eventually I finally find it, turn it on, at this point my train slammed into the other train waiting at the station, aka I hit the ceiling. So Reggie signals that the drill is over and to go back to my primary. But I already had the back up in my hands, so I just unclipped it and exited with it.

At the end of the Peanut line, Harry unlocks the reel and tells me to reel it up, while running ahead clearing the reel. I hand it to Harry, remove the arrow from the line, and start working on the next reel since it was one I was normal Dive Rite safety reel. The rest of the ascent was pretty uneventful other than trying to prevent as much algae from being reeled on to the reel. And cleaned up and met for an AAR.

AAR:
1. Once again I didn't return the turn the dive signal. When I saw Harry put the cookie on the line I got so task focused on finding that reel that I completely missed the turn signal, so I also missed noting my pressures at the turn.

Why did Harry put the cookie on the line? Because apparently the double arrows are missing from that common jump. So he was confused and put his cookie there.

2. My lost buddy drill was ok. He said that I should've gone out further before zigging and zagging. Also I didn't secure my line on an arrow.

3. Switching to my back up light took way too long, and I was so task focused on it that I lost my buoyancy control.

4. I have completed NSS Basics, completed TDI Sidemount, and day 1 of Apprentice Cave. And I have approximately two days left to complete the required drills and bottom time for the cave cert. I declined the TDI Sidemount card, it isn't a card I would actually need to present to people.

Profiles and my thoughts to come shortly.

Peacock Dive Profiles:

Dive 1 Olsen Line:
Dive time: 35 minutes
Max Depth: 67 ffw
Average Depth: 51 ffw
Total Air Used: 1,546psi or 50cuft
Average RMV Rate: 0.54cuft/min

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 9.47.19 PM.png

Dive 2 Peanut Line:
Dive time: 62 minutes
Max Depth: 57 ffw
Average Depth: 37 ffw
Total Air Used: 1,596psi or 51cuft
Average RMV Rate: 0.39cuft/min

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 9.51.04 PM.png

My thoughts and some of the changes I will make.
1. Pull and glide is a lot harder with sidemount, and found it hard to get a good grip and range of motion as the tanks were in the way. I need to go to Ginnie and work on this.

2. Hard goodman handles don't work for me. I found it hard to do tasks with my hands while it was in my hand. When I get my own primary light I will be going with a soft handle.

3. The butt pouch puts way too much things on top of my butt plate, making it hard to find things on my butt plate. I will be replacing it with a glue on thigh pouch, I got a good deal on one at CCDS. I will also be trying to put my main back up light in a flashlight pouch on my belt so I can more quickly get to it.

4. I will be working on doing some line drills at home, and the next time I dive a suitable site.

5. I need to get in the pool to work on my modified flutter kick. I am thinking that bring my GoPro so I can film and evaluate it.

6. Speaking of video I found that Dene's use of the Paralenz to provide video feedback as being very helpful. I wish more instructors did this.

7. At one point on the second dive I noticed that my Shearwater said my said my time to the surface was 2 minutes, I chuckled as I was at least 500ft back in the cave, and certainly wasn't within two minutes of the exit.

8. I like how symmetrical the dive profiles are.

9. Diving with older instructors like Harry and Reggie was great. They not only knew how to dive, but they know the reasons why we do things due to close calls or bodies had to be pulled out of the cave.

Now to get the practice, equipment, time, and money to get the final two days done. Thankfully being a local, that shouldn't be too hard.

This training blog will continue, same bat time, same bat channel. :crafty:

@Manatee Diver

Are you already AN/DP certified or is that to come later?

I am going to do that between Apprentice and Full cave. I am thinking about doing it with @LandonL or @Capt Jim Wyatt, as I would prefer to do it in open water, and probably in doubles as I think sidemounting off a boat would suck. TBH long deco dives on OC don't interest me as much. I did a 2 hour 17 minute dive with @Scuba_Jenny I was dried out, and tried.

0.39/cft min RMV? Good Lord. Are you a fish?

I have no idea how my RMV got that low. If you looked at me and my logbook you would guess I would be above average. But for some reason I sip air, maybe it is because of trim and streamlining. I don't know.

0.39/cft min RMV? Good Lord. Are you a fish?
The peanut tunnel is very shallow, with moderate to low flow and lots of places to pull-glide.

Great job @Manatee Diver..

I had a diver buddy in my intro class back in 91 that was a one-fin diver. He seemed to do ok.. I lost track of him and am not sure if he ever completed full cave.

Any discussion on use of a DPV for your situation? No doubt, as with any cave-DPV you have to plan for scooter failure, but just wondering if that was discussed with your instructors..

I suspect you turned at either the waterhole or the crossover jump.
Neither of those are marked with double arrows since about last June. They were intentionally removed to cut down on traffic that shouldn't be there.
@kensuf can probably elaborate.

Any discussion on use of a DPV for your situation? No doubt, as with any cave-DPV you have to plan for scooter failure, but just wondering if that was discussed with your instructors..

Hubie mentioned it, he thought that my track after full would be to take Stage Cave after about 25-50 dives, and DPV after about 100 dives.

But before then high flow caves would probably be the best place for me, as with pull and glide I will be as fast as any other diver. Low flow caves I would need an understanding buddy, as it will be slow going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom