Hope it's Not true, Diver Missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgbmatt:
The whole east side has a shallow fringing reef, which makes for bad rip currents wherever there's a channel.
I never considered the danger of gaps in the reef until I took a kayaking course. Apparently when the tide shifts, or a lot of surf flushes out, there can be a violent channel of water going makai, and you ain't swimming/paddling against it. Technique we were taught is to hug the edge of the channel, away from the main current.
rgbmatt:
According to the news, three guys went out at night with only two flashlights.
This needs no comment.

The whole east side has a shallow fringing reef, which makes for bad rip currents wherever there's a channel.

Oh yes, this is a very good point. Haunama Bay has a "chute" exactly as you have described. I went out one night through that little channel and almost did not make it back in. I think maybe the tide had gone down, and this made for differnt water physics and the current leaving the bay made it almost impassible, with a camera anyway. I eventually had to catch a surge and kick like hell to get back in one cycle, it was scarey because there are some big underwater boulders that make getting sucked back the other direction really dangerous.

The physics of water around rock and reef formations warrant careful thought, especially with changing tides. I think I would only go in there again, at night if the tide was coming in. An area with plenty of depth becomes completely different with half the water drained out.

I heard the "pan-pan" this morning also... didn't hear any cancellation of it, but we were out of the water by 11am (and radio off).

The funny thing about the "pan" call is that it doesn't hold to quoted source -- "panne" isn't so much breakdown in French, as much as "panne d'essence" means "out of gas".

http://www.coastalsailing.net/Cruising/Seamanship/Radio/RadioBasics.html:
Please also keep in mind that the Mayday call is only for situations in which life or property is in immediate danger. It is not for calling for help if you've run out of fuel, unless you are in imminent danger (eg, in a channel without an anchor and without alternative propulsion about to go up on rocks). When you call mayday, you are setting the search and rescue operations into immediate action. If you run out of fuel, run aground, or have an engine problem that is not an immediate threat, hail your towing service or the local coast guard for referral to the local towing service. (emphasis mine) You may also consider issuing a securite warning to other vessels. If you perceive danger but it's either not identifyable or not imminent, you may issue a pan pan which gets everyone to listen up for further updates. So the sequence of radio distress calls is as follows:

Least threatening: Securite, securite, securite (you are towing someone and have restricted maneuverability and you want all others to avoid you or to let you know if there's a potential issue)

Moderately threatening: Pan pan, pan pan, pan pan (you have grounded and believe you may be taking on water slowly or are a hazard to navigation)

Immediate danger and distress: Mayday, mayday, mayday (your ship is going down, you've lost someone overboard, your vessel is being smashed on rocks, etc)

I heard tonight he is a father of four from Hawaii Kai which is my neighborhood.---freediver

I am finding myself wondering who it could be.

I am surprised they even had any lights, most freedivers don't carry lights at night.

they sure have a lot of people looking....military, Coast Guard, fire..

What determines this?...because the military usually doesn't get involved when it's a tourist, have you noticed that?

My heart anbd prayers go out to him and his family. Though it doesn't sound good, I really hope this has a happy ending and they find him safe.

B.

zen_man:
My heart anbd prayers go out to him and his family. Though it doesn't sound good, I really hope this has a happy ending and they find him safe.

B.

Unfortunately, I think that's unlikely at this point. I heard on the news tonight that they found some of his gear. I think one of his fins was found. Doesn't look good. Prayers also to him, family and friends.

catherine96821:
I am surprised they even had any lights, most freedivers don't carry lights at night.

They may have been trying to spear uhu. That's the most common motive for night snorkeling around here.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]Officials recovering body from Windward Oahu waters[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][SIZE=-2] Advertiser Staff [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1] Emergency responders are in the process of recovering a body from ocean waters off Ka'a'awa on the Windward side of O'ahu.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]The body was spotted about 7:15 a.m.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Police believe the body is that of a 38-year-old Hawai'i Kai man who became separated from two diving companions about 10 p.m. Saturday after entering the water from Ka'a'awa Beach. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]The Coast Guard, Fire Department and U.S. Marine Corps conducted an extensive search for the diver on Sunday and Monday.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]The two other divers said they saw the missing man being swept out to sea before he disappeared.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]
:( Condolences to the family and friends.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Why no name?

They never even named *who* was missing...

something different about this one

yes, very sad, ---sorry to be fixated on how this is playing out.

Interesting how seductive certain catch can be for the freediving community--it's almost primal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom