hoods and long hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mama Mynet

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a ton of thick medium length/long hair... Any suggestions on whether an attached hood to the suit or a separate hood is better? Pros and cons to both please? Recommendations on brand? I'm looking to do a lot of cold water dives this spring and dont want to freeze my hair follical's off :wink:

Poor gal..

an attached hood is usually warmer, because it restricts water flow.

However.....long hair is great, as it does fill up the excess space around the neck a bit..

tip? putting conditioner in your hair prior to putting on the hood will make it easier to put on..a zip hood is great for making it easier to put on too. You might consider a separate hood if you think you might go into a drysuit at some point.

Brands? Henderson makes hyperstretch ones which are nice...but mainly, as they all fit differently, try them on and see which one feels the best!

Depending on what you are diving in you can check out a hooded vest. Mine are polartec and I wouldn't be without them...I don't dive cold, though :wink: Don't know if the polartec would be warm enough for you.

Best hair care product I have ever found is Biolage's Conditioning Balm. My hair used to be half way down my back, now is just below shoulders. Have never used more than a nickel sized amount. leave in, dive all day, laze in the sun, run some relatively fresh water through it and go out for dinner!

I have long hair, too and I actually have two different hoods. I have a 7 mil hooded shorty to go over my 7 mil suit for colder dives. It zips up from the leg to the chin and helps with restricting water flow. For days when I can go with just the 7 mil, I use a drysuit hood that zips in the back. It doesn't interfere with the neck seal for my suit and my head stays protected. My ponytail just pokes out from below. I didn't like the bibbed hood, it was just too much work. Some day I'll get a drysuit to go with the hood. :)

If you can get a drysuit hood that zips up the back it's better. I have a hood that wraps around the front with velcro. It's ok, but a little tight. I have very long think hair so a 7mil hood would strangle me. I use a hair glove(12 inch) to hold my hair back. Keeps it out of zippers too!

hey..
I also have long hair..its a little uncomfortable to put on but try a swimming hat.That will keep it out of the way of zips and out of your way.

I have long hair too and keep it in a ponytail. I have a Bare Arctic SGS with hooded vest that works well for cold water. What I like about the vest is that it zips up from chin to thigh. So you don't have to mess with pulling a tight hood off over your head. For warm water, try a neoprene slap strap over the mask band, or even better get a beanie to keep the hair out of the way. I just got a 3 mm "squid lid" with cat ears from Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey. It's custom fit to your measurements and you can order horns or ears or whatever if you like.

I have hiney-length thick hair, and it's always been a challenge while diving. I ended up getting a separate hood with zipper closure, and just piling it all on top of my head so I look like a conehead when I dive. It's comfortable, but looks ridiculous. I used to have a great photo. I digress.

opiniongirl:
Poor gal..

an attached hood is usually warmer, because it restricts water flow.

However.....long hair is great, as it does fill up the excess space around the neck a bit..

tip? putting conditioner in your hair prior to putting on the hood will make it easier to put on..a zip hood is great for making it easier to put on too. You might consider a separate hood if you think you might go into a drysuit at some point.

Brands? Henderson makes hyperstretch ones which are nice...but mainly, as they all fit differently, try them on and see which one feels the best!
That is a great tip about the conditioner!!! Thanks a ton. I appreciate it.

SueMermaid:
I have hiney-length thick hair, and it's always been a challenge while diving. I ended up getting a separate hood with zipper closure, and just piling it all on top of my head so I look like a conehead when I dive. It's comfortable, but looks ridiculous. I used to have a great photo. I digress.
That is a funny mental picture... The Coneheads diving... LOL

Back
Top Bottom