Hooded Wetsuits??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at getting a 5-7mm wetsuit for colder water diving. I was going to purchase the wetsuit and hood separately but then saw they have some suit with integrated hoods. I think the integrated hood suits are better (warmer) but wanted some feedback. Any comments/insights are appreciated. Any brands/models I should stay away from?

Thanks

UB:
I am looking at getting a 5-7mm wetsuit for colder water diving. I was going to purchase the wetsuit and hood separately but then saw they have some suit with integrated hoods. I think the integrated hood suits are better (warmer) but wanted some feedback. Any comments/insights are appreciated. Any brands/models I should stay away from?

Thanks

I have an Xcel SCS Polar Tri-Density wetsuit with the integrated hood and I think it is great. The zipper runs horizontally across your chest, so it is easy to zip yourself. The built in hood keeps water from ever running down your back, a real plus especially when it is cold. Mine is a slightly older model with 8/7/6 mm of neoprene, the newer model is advertised as 9/7/6. I have had this suit in water in the mid 40 degree range and I don't start feeling the cold until about 50 degrees. I am pleased with the construction and features of this wet suit and can reccomend it. If you get a thick suit, don't skimp on the booties or gloves, thick ones will cost you but they are a lot warmer.

I am currently considering getting a dry suit, but have no plans to sell my wet suit.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
I have an Xcel SCS Polar Tri-Density wetsuit with the integrated hood and I think it is great. The zipper runs horizontally across your chest, so it is easy to zip yourself. The built in hood keeps water from ever running down your back, a real plus especially when it is cold. Mine is a slightly older model with 8/7/6 mm of neoprene, the newer model is advertised as 9/7/6. I have had this suit in water in the mid 40 degree range and I don't start feeling the cold until about 50 degrees. I am pleased with the construction and features of this wet suit and can reccomend it. If you get a thick suit, don't skimp on the booties or gloves, thick ones will cost you but they are a lot warmer.

I am currently considering getting a dry suit, but have no plans to sell my wet suit.

Mark Vlahos

I have an Xcel 8/7/6/5 with intergrated hood. I love it!

I find the wetsuit overall eaiser to put on and take off also.

Jacob

I run seveal hooded vests with full suits. if you going to want a second layer on your torso is a great way to go. Otherwise integrating the hood with the suit eliminates some major seepage areas.

Pete

I know you're looking at suits with integrated hoods, but I thought I would throw this in. I have a Bare Velocity 7/6 with a 5mm hooded vest. The seals on the suit and the vest keep the water from seeping in. It only has six dives on it (I'm new) but I've had it down to 52 degrees twice and it was toasty warm.

for the "other side" of things with integrated hoods - my suit is integrated with a front zip - I find it near impossible to get out of by myself due to the front zip. I also noticed that when I get air in the hood I can't just duck my head down and let the air out the bottom of the hood (it all goes into my legs and boots) instead I have to go near vertical and pull my hood back... at least I did till I cut 2 vent holes in the hood.

Just a couple things to keep in mind as you shop - Next time I'd go with a seperate hood, or possibly a hooded vest (which would still have the air bubble trapping problem)

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
for the "other side" of things with integrated hoods - my suit is integrated with a front zip - I find it near impossible to get out of by myself due to the front zip. I also noticed that when I get air in the hood I can't just duck my head down and let the air out the bottom of the hood (it all goes into my legs and boots) instead I have to go near vertical and pull my hood back... at least I did till I cut 2 vent holes in the hood.

Just a couple things to keep in mind as you shop - Next time I'd go with a seperate hood, or possibly a hooded vest (which would still have the air bubble trapping problem)

Aloha, Tim

Tim,

The Xcel hood is vented with a nice baffel to restrict water flow, but allow air flow.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
Tim,

The Xcel hood is vented with a nice baffel to restrict water flow, but allow air flow.

Mark Vlahos

On the subject of hood with vents. Comparing wetsuits on a boat recently, we noticed that normally womens models come with vents while the mens version of the same suit has no vents. One example Aqualung 7mm ICELAND semi-dry. Checking later at the shop we saw that this seems to be fairly common across several manufacturers. Not all, my SEAC-SUB male model has vents. But certainly enough to make us curious.

The only conclusion we could come to is that women need to release more excess gases. :wink:

Anyone have a serious explanation?

Ladies have more hair thus trapping more air around the head???

I agree with "KIDSPOT" about the difficulty in getting into a front zip wetsuit. I am a big guy with some flexibility. After a few times in the living room with my brother helping me, I learned a few techniques for entry but it was not the way I want to start the dive experience. Exit was just as bad. Could not imagine donning and doffing the thing on a boat. Ripped the zipper getting it on the first time. Fit great, Ebay item O'Neil suit as new. Factory fixed the zip under warranty, no questions. Very commendable. Sold the suit without ever getting it wet.

The design of a front zip should make it warmer as the back insulation is uninterrupted and the attached hood would be even more toastie--the reason I looked into it. Under 200 pounds, "lanky", svelt,double jointed, etc. it would be great.

I few knife cuts in the hood may help bleed trapped air. The cuts will not be visible and will not tear. I suggest completing the above procedure NOT wearing the hood.

Cagemaker

Back
Top Bottom