hooded vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleFish

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently dive with a 7mm semi-dry hooded wetsuit. I still get cold in the So Cal 52 degree winter water. Is there any problem with wearing a hooded vest under this? The only thing I can think of would be the possibility of the neck being too tight with the multiple layers.

Has anyone tried this? If so what was the result?

Thanks

I used to do that for a couple of years before switching to drysuits. The vest-with -attatched hood made a huge difference in keeping warmer. The best part was no water rushing down the back of my neck, but it sounds like your wetsuit already has an attatched hood? My vest/hood was around 3-5 mm, so I wore another, proper hood over it. This extra layer over the head probably made a huge difference too. It was fine underwater, but didn't help much on the surface when it was windy and below freezing.

Thanks for the info. I think I will give it a try then. I hope to move to a drysuit too when the funds allow it.

I did it before the drysuit, it worked great. Two hoods worked great too :)

LittleFish:
I currently dive with a 7mm semi-dry hooded wetsuit. I still get cold in the So Cal 52 degree winter water. Is there any problem with wearing a hooded vest under this? The only thing I can think of would be the possibility of the neck being too tight with the multiple layers.

Has anyone tried this? If so what was the result?

Thanks

How much time are you spending in the 52 degree water before becoming cold? It might simply be you've been in long enough. After all, 52 degree water is not warm.

"Semi dry" is supposed to greatly restrict the flow of water through what is essentially a wet-suit. If you try to put something else under the suit you might break the seal around the neck. I suggest a hooded vest over the existing suit.

I'm not sure about the double hood and the neck squeeze. I've never tried or needed a double hood.

I just bought a 7mm hooded vest to wear under my full suit when the temp drops to the low 50's and below here (rare). I normally wear a 3mm hooded vest, but it got stolen (grrr). I wore the new one yesterday to test it out. WOW... I was boiling (water temp still in upper 50's here at depth).

I'd be worried about the neck comfort. I have been known to wear a beanie under my 5mm hooded vest with a full suit.

A beanie and a hooded vest would be my suggestion to beef up a hooded full suit.

Pete

For drysuits, keep an eye on ebay. Got mine for $300, had to replace one seal for $30. Got to dive it last weekend and what a difference! And all for the price of a nice wetsuit.

As to your questions, I wear my hooded vest over my wetsuit. You might try that. If your semi-dry is very close fitting as it should be, you can get a hooded vest big enough to fit over it and maybe avoid some neck squeeze.

You could also try one of the 12mm Otter Bay custom hoods. I wore one last weekend and my head was so warm (which of course keeps the rest of you warmer). The price is right and I was able to send my measurements via email. They might make hooded vests too...probably do.

Gregg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom