hooded vest for water temps 72-90 F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gracklemann

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice.
I have a 3mm full Henderson Hyperstretch which I really like. I dove with it last summer quite a bit in water in the 83 - 89 degree F (28-31c) range quite comfortably.
I went to Mexico (Playa) in December, and dove the same suit in 77-79 F (25-26c) water and was pretty cold. Not so much that I couldn't dive, but I was uncomfortable.
Now I'm about to start diving some local springs that stay 72 F (22c) degrees year round.

So... I'm trying to figure out how to handle these temperature ranges without breaking the bank. I'm thinking a hooded vest might be the answer. I could combine it with my 3mm suit for water in the upper 70s, and for water in the lower 70s, I could combine it with something like a 5mm full.

Anybody have and thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

A hooded vest is a great layering item when used with a fullsuit. The common chicken vest that runs down to the waist is best worn under the wetsuit. It will mute whatever makes it through the back zip. It will also just about take the neck opening out of the equation and this is often a huge help. A little more rubber on your core will be welome too. I wear this under my 3,5, and 7mm fullsuits as needed.

Pete

ba003106-BLK.jpg

gracklemann:
Forgot to mention, I'm on the small side. 5-10 140lbs, about 10% body fat, so I don't have much natural insulation.
Thanks.
Still cold?
They have this in 5mm and 7mm.

I have the 7mm and wear it with the Arctic 7mm fullsuit. This is way more than you should need. But the 5mm may be something to consider.

Pete

ba003124-RYL.jpg

I use a 3mm hooded vest in combination with a 5mm or a 7mm depending on my needs. Some times, I will initially dive without it and then add it on subsequent dives. Covering your head alone can make a huge difference and as Spectrum mentioned, eliminating the flow down the neck makes a big improvement in comfort. I'd say it's a good piece to add.

I also wear a 3mm full suit.. When the water temps get around 75 or below, I wear my 3mm hooded vest under my full... It works wonders. It is not too hot, but usually just right. You might want to consider getting some reusable salt heat packs... Works great and you can recharge them by boiling them....

I've been looking at the Henderson and Scubapro hooded vests which have 3mm bodies and 5mm hoods. Any comment on these? Thanks

I used a beanie recently and even that makes a difference

I had the same problem with my 3mil suit and getting cold during repetitive diving in 79degree water. I quickly realized that it was likely I'd get cold for just 1-2 dives in water 70-75 degrees as well. I originally investigated the vest idea but decided that the 5mil full Hyperstretch was a better choice for me. My 5mil was perfect for the repetitive diving we just did in Belize on our liveaboard (Nekton Pilot), and I liked that my arms and legs were kept warm as well as my torso.

My 5mil was much easier to don and doff than a 3mil with a vest added, and I still have the option of adding a beanie if need be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom