Hood Specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darn! Had I known about these I would have bought one. The price is no more than the Pinnacle merino wool hoods or hood/vest combo's. I did my first dive with my new 7mm merino lined hood with a 3mm vest. I noticed my body much warmer than previous dives. Their booties look like they are worth a try as well. I use 5mm gloves which most of the dive shops have told me are maximum if you want any form of useful movement of your hands.

thanks for the recommendation of the otter bay hood. I will check out their shop on my next trip to Monterey. Are these recommended for wet suits as well as dry?

Thanks for the info

Steve

You can also customize the 12mm hood such as sew it on a vest if you're using wetsuit otherwise, OtterBay, will do virtually everything to make your hood comfortable as possible.

I should have specified that I dive dry in cold water.

I like the ScubaMax Titanskin 7 mm. Always been warm enough for me ... I'm on my fourth one (every December I treat myself to a new hood) ... they're warm, comfortable, and inexpensive (about $30 apiece from Bob3 here on ScubaBoard ... that's about 10 cents per dive) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't believe they only last that long as little as you dive NWGD..... LOL
I like the whites 7/5 non zip myself. I also have a 7/5/3 zip, but I don't usually use the zip anyway. I the 5mm around the chin for the flexibility around the mouth, (little less jaw fatigue)IMO.
To each there own.
DP

I like the ScubaMax Titanskin 7 mm. Always been warm enough for me ... I'm on my fourth one (every December I treat myself to a new hood) ... they're warm, comfortable, and inexpensive (about $30 apiece from Bob3 here on ScubaBoard ... that's about 10 cents per dive) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have about 300 dives on my Cressi 5mm hood. It looks showroom new to me. Do you think its time to replace it?

Just spoke with Cricket at Otter Bay. While I'm not sure my 5mm hood is adequate for Monterey diving I want to make sure I really need a 12mm hood before I spend the cash.

Nobody comes up from a Monterey/Carmel dive and says, "you know, that dive would've been so much better if the water was just a little bit colder."

Buy the 12mm hood.

I have about 300 dives on my Cressi 5mm hood. It looks showroom new to me. Do you think its time to replace it?
It doesn't matter what it LOOKS like, it matters how it works. Not
only are Cricket's hoods THICK, they are STIFF neoprene too, so
they don't compress much.

It's notable that nobody here is saying "I tried an Otter Bay hood
and was disappointed." Maybe one with one that wasn't fitted
quite right and was complaining about it being too tight. They
don't have to be that tight.

Wetsuits only need to be VERY VERY slightly smaller than the
body that goes in them. Any tighter isn't warmer, just more
uncomfortable.

There have been a number of things I was not a believer in until
I tried one: drysuits, backplates, and Cricket's hoods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom