Honeymoon in Hawai'i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DropkickMurphy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone, my fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon on the Big Island. I'm a diver (OW, no specialties or anything else) but my fiancee is not. In fact, I am going to be teaching her to swim as soon as the thaw occurs here in Indiana. She is interested in snorkeling so I am looking for good places on the island (especially the west side) that we can snorkel and see marine life, etc. Any suggestions would be welcome and if any members of the board on the Island are willing to show us around, just let us know.

Also I would appreciate hearing opinions on dive shops and dive operators in the area.

Anyone?

Since she's currently a non-swimmer, I'd have to recommend Kahalu'u beach park right on the south end of Ali'i drive in Kailua. It's protected, shallow, and the fish are plentiful. Once you get her to swimming and comfortable in an overhead environment that pretty much opens up anywhere you can get into the water. The reef right off the Captain Cook Monument in Kealakekua Bay (a bit hard to get to, you'll need to either hike or kayak) is probably the top snorkeling spot in the state, with the bay at the Place of Refuge running a close second (and much easier to access). Pretty much anywhere you can get into the water safely away from sand you'll find good snorkeling on the Kona side.

Lots of good operators here. If you're looking for a smaller group operator check out my signature link to my boat.

Have fun,

Thank you both for the help. I really appreciate the advice. Steve, I might be in touch with you regarding a charter, depending upon how comfortable Gina is with the water.

Just wanted to chime in that the Big Island has some amazing places to snorkel, and hopefully your financee will be comfortable enough to enjoy them. If there is any way to get her in a heated pool back home with a mask and snorkel it will go a LONG way to get her ready for your trip. The suggestions Friscuba are excellent.

For snorkeling-only with your fiancee, one operator that we like is the Fairwinds. It is a very large boat that runs a couple of trips each day to the Captain Cook monument (I recommend the morning run 'cuz they feed you a great lunch), and they accomodate weak swimmers by offering floatation devices so a weaker snorkeler can just "float" on the surface and look down into the water to see the coral and fishes. We take our "mainland" relatives out on the Fairwinds when they come to visit us, and even the weak swimmers among them have had a great time.

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom