Honeymoon Destination Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello everyone.

I have a question.

I am engaged to be married on May 29, 2010. My fiancee and I are looking for honeymoon destinations in the Caribbean area. We are both avid divers and thus far have been to Cozumel, Cayman Islands, and Utila/Roatan. I am looking for something on the other side of the Caribbean so to speak. The web sites are full of advertisements all stating how wonderful they are. I am hoping to hear from someone who has traveled in the area (St Lucia, St John, etc.) and what their opinions are. We want a place where we can dive a good bit, but also enjoy the history, culture and life of the island. On previous trips, we mostly dove until we passed out. This time we want to enjoy some activities about the water as well. Other destinations are welcomed as well. I haven't chosen a site yet so I am open to other places.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Congratulations!

That time of year is pretty much the best time to dive in the eastern caribbean. For a combination of diving and other activities, you might want to consider going to St. Martin and Saba. Saba has really unique pinnacles and generally great diving. Saint Martin has some very good diving and also terrific restaurants and interesting cultural stuff. Saba is a short puddle jumper flight from St. Martin. On St. Martin, I much prefer the French side. I'm living there for the year, so PM me if you are interested. Also, you can see some of the dive sites here:

Top Dive Sites | Octopus Diving | Scuba Dive & Snorkel Saint Martin

My wife and I were married in Jamaica, at Couples Negril. That island offers a great combination of ever-improving diving (we were there in 2003 and then again in 2008 and the reefs and the populations were in much better shape in 2008), as well as the culture and attractions of the island itself.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

Hello everyone.

I have a question.

I am engaged to be married on May 29, 2010. My fiancee and I are looking for honeymoon destinations in the Caribbean area. We are both avid divers and thus far have been to Cozumel, Cayman Islands, and Belize. I am looking for something on the other side of the Caribbean so to speak. The web sites are full of advertisements all stating how wonderful they are. I am hoping to hear from someone who has traveled in the area (St Lucia, St John, etc.) and what their opinions are. We want a place where we can dive a good bit, but also enjoy the history, culture and life of the island. On previous trips, we mostly dove until we passed out. This time we want to enjoy some activities about the water as well. Other destinations are welcomed as well. I haven't chosen a site yet so I am open to other places.

Any suggestions?

First.... Congrats!

Second....do you have a price range? do you like fancy or rustic? would you consider a liveaboard? Explorer Ventures does a St.Kitts/Saba trip.
Explorer Ventures: Northeastern Caribbean

I know a couple who did this, it was their first liveaboard, and they loved it!!!

Another friend did Saba land-based and while he enjoyed the diving, he said that only 2 dives per day got boring as there wasn't much to do on island but sit in sun and drink. He would have enjoyed it better by liveaboard. He also thought that the price would have been about the same.

Another option - Bonaire!
You can dive 24/7 there and relax when you want, or dive til you drop. Island has a Caribbean and European feel, since it is part of Netherlands and most residents/workers are one or other.
check out these websites:
Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information
The Bonaire WebCams - Welcome!
Welcome to the Buddy Dive Resort website
Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire!

robin:D

Have you thought about St Thomas, world class diving, wrecks and reefs. New direct flights daily from major cities. And plenty to do topside besides sun & drink. You can even go to St John & BVI for daytrips and dive many islands easily. Our dive shop, Blue Island Divers dives all the well known wrecks in St Thomas, like the LST 467 & the Miss Opportunity. Check us out, it's worth a look.

I was married on Josias bay, Tortola BVI. then we spent 10 days diving the islands from our charter sailboat. I would highly recommend it. the Islands have some stuff to do, but it is mostly in the beach Bar variety. they have a national park but I have never been in all 3 of my visits. Driving the island is a hoot and you can take pictures at any point that are memorable. The people are not friendly but that is fun too. If the restaurant tells you that the specials are on the wall, then order one of them because they may not have anything else. I love BVI, and all of its quirks. there are about 10-12 wrecks, miles of reef, and lots of nothing. I almost forget my name when I am there. there is plenty of Dancing and live music but you sort of have to schedule it otherwise they will tell you "oh you missed it that was last night."

Thank you everyone for your congrats and your suggestions :).

Let me see if I can give some more information.

Re : Jamaica. I have been there before and was looking to go somewhere we both have never been. I loved my time there but it seemed crowded at the time.

Re : Liveaboard/price. We just completed a live aboard and had a great time, but it was VERY draining physically. Doing 5 dives a day in current was not fun. LOVED the dives themselves, but I wanted to do more than eat/sleep/dive on my honeymoon.

I don't really have a price restriction. I want to enjoy the trip and not interested in quibbling over little things if it makes it more enjoyable.

I have to admit that I am not a fan of rustic. I do enjoy some creature comforts when I travel (A/C, clean water, and good dining). I was looking for something that had island life (history, landscape, culture, and of course diving). I would say that we want to spens half the time diving and half the time seeing the island and sleeping after planning this wedding. (Remind me not to do this again:))

You guys ahve given me a few ideas. Please keep them coming. Just 134 more days to go and I still have not found a place.

Thank you to everyone that responded. I think we have settled on St Lucia and like the Jalouise Plantation so far based on the web site and customer comments. Has anyone here had any experience or exposure to this dive resort?

Hello everyone.

I have a question.

I am engaged to be married on May 29, 2010. My fiancee and I are looking for honeymoon destinations in the Caribbean area. We are both avid divers and thus far have been to Cozumel, Cayman Islands, and Utila/Roatan. I am looking for something on the other side of the Caribbean so to speak. The web sites are full of advertisements all stating how wonderful they are. I am hoping to hear from someone who has traveled in the area (St Lucia, St John, etc.) and what their opinions are. We want a place where we can dive a good bit, but also enjoy the history, culture and life of the island. On previous trips, we mostly dove until we passed out. This time we want to enjoy some activities about the water as well. Other destinations are welcomed as well. I haven't chosen a site yet so I am open to other places.

Any suggestions?

Tikaye village in St. Lucia. Period. Hands down. Game over.

Tikaye.com

Sample of diving: YouTube - Friends on the Reef- St Lucia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom