Honduran Airport closures.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey guys, do you think this situation will interfere with vacation
plans from July 3 to July 10?

sounds like it'll be gone by then, but just wanting to check

it was good this morning in Copan, it was ok in Siguatepeque yesterday when I left town. By this afternoon it was horrid. Last night while sitting outside at Twisted Tanya's in Copan Ruinas, I counted three different mountains on fire. All along the road on the 5 hour trip home, we saw the remains of brush fires that resulted from out of control trash burning. Folks coming in from Guatemala have said that conditions are pretty much the same there.

I'm back in Sigutepeque right now...and it has finally started to rain...the first hard rain since...well I don't remember when the last hard rain was..

I think I would keep the dive trip on...but can the interiror of the country. It's hot, miserable, smokey, hard to breathe. I think the best time for sightseeing in the interior is in November or February myself (I live in the interior). It's relatively pleasant - not a sweatbath. I was offline while in Copan..sorry I couldn't answer sooner.

NWGratefulDiver:
Roatan airport was open yesterday ... I flew out around 4 PM.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

but visibility was decreasing by the minute when I drove through SPS about 3:30 this afternoon. It's anyone's guess as to when airports will be open and when they will be closed. If the rain we are having right now in Siguatepeque moves on into SPS, it may clear the air enough to keep the airport open tomorrow also. It's a day by day, even minute by minute thing. This storm moved on in from Tegucigalpa.

Last night I saw stars, the air was clear enough. I saw three mountainsides also go up in flames that evening. This morning we could barely see the sun. I passed a number of brush fires or the remains of brush fires on the way home from Copan Ruinas via SPS.

Anyone with a plane change in SPS needs to check with their airline on what is happening.

You should be fine......that is the rainy season on the mainland where all the smoke is being generated. Things should be cleared up by then...but then weather has been crazy here so I won't qualify that with definitely. We've had shorter rainy seasons, longer dry seasons, colder than normal winter temperatures, hotter than usual summer temperatures, etc.

Thanks for the updates, Sandi. Glad to see you're getting some rain. We have twins with Asthma so I understand the concern regarding air quality. We are scheduled to depart on May 19 via SPS for Utila & Roatan, so I'm hoping the situation improves soon.

Steve

Thanks for all the info.

I did indeed cancel my flights for Sunday morning and rescheduled for July. I know its the high season and the rainy season, but rain is much better than smoke.

Scheduled to depart on the 21st of May. I'm hoping all this clears, and I will keep watching this thread for news.

how MUCH exactly does it rain in Roatan late June-early July?

H2Andy:
how MUCH exactly does it rain in Roatan late June-early July?

... about that much.

(should be pretty dry at that point)

It's hard to say. We didn't really have a rainy season in the year we've been here. I just looked at my daytimer from last July and I didn't make note of any rain days but we did play tennis at Fantasy Island 9 days that month. It seemed to me a lot like Florida summer showers. We rarely got socked in with weather. Right now, we're all doing a rain dance. It's been so dry and dusty. The dust and the smoke make the air just awful to breathe.
This was June 28th last year. You can see the edge of the weather.
21093759-M.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom