flying to Bay Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to find semi economical ways to get to Roatan or Guanaja from California in Sept. All the flights with layovers less then 6 hours are over $1000. Is it any cheaper or faster flying to another stop like San Pedro Sula , Tec. or La Ceiba Honduras, then to Roatan or Guanaja, vs USA to Roatan, then flight or ferry to Guanaja? Also, are certain months less expensive to fly to the Bay Islands?

You can't fly to Guanaja from outside the country. You can get there from Roatan or La Ceiba, maybe also San Pedro Sula. Our you can get a charter boat to Guanaja from Roatan.

Yes, Roatan is expensive to get to. There was a cheap option out of Minnesota or Denver - can't remember which.

There is a facebook group called Roatan Travel / Support Roatan. You might try asking there. A very very active and knowledgeable group.

Unfortunately, most flight prices are escalated at this time. You'll just need to be vigilant and persistent while shopping for flights. I would suggest finding one of the flight search engines that will allow you to can enter your trip parameters, save them, and then notify you when (if) prices drop.

I'm trying to find semi economical ways to get to Roatan or Guanaja from California in Sept. All the flights with layovers less then 6 hours are over $1000. Is it any cheaper or faster flying to another stop like San Pedro Sula , Tec. or La Ceiba Honduras, then to Roatan or Guanaja, vs USA to Roatan, then flight or ferry to Guanaja? Also, are certain months less expensive to fly to the Bay Islands?
Which airport are you flying out of?

For me, flying out of San Francisco is substantially more affordable than San Jose, which is closer to home.

My "go to" is Google Flights. It is a very powerful search engine that you can customize. I flew Chicago-Houston-Roatan in Sept 2021 and it wasn't cheap. It is even more now ($1200). I just bought my Utila flight for October 2022 and will fly Chicago-Houston-San Pedro Sula...then take a short hop flight directly to Utila ($265).

I generally fly out of Dallas (DFW) and have found that it can be cheaper to one way it together but DFW is my go to even after living a few hours north of SF for the past few years. I must admit it my opinion may be a little biased as I lived in Dallas for a number of years so I still go visit friends frequently. Just a tip if you fly American Airlines out of DFW DO NOT CHECK YOUR BAGS! THEY WILL GET LOST. I have been on AA flights out of DFW multiple times where over half the flight lost their bags. A few times they were giving away free checked bags to make space on the flight and only a very few actually took them up on the offer... ultimately lost their bags but at least it was free.

Just a tip if you fly American Airlines out of DFW DO NOT CHECK YOUR BAGS! THEY WILL GET LOST. I have been on AA flights out of DFW multiple times where over half the flight lost their bags. A few times they were giving away free checked bags to make space on the flight and only a very few actually took them up on the offer... ultimately lost their bags but at least it was free.

Awesome! Sign me up? A checked bag of old crap gear and a good trip insurance policy and I can get a nice new kit upgrade!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom