Homosassa Springs, dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soonerwink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I got some cheap airfare to Tampa and a free place to stay. So myself and three other Tulsa Aquanauts are headed to Homosassa Springs on March 11. I need to get some opinions on must do dives in the area. Also is there any good Gulf diving in area? We will have four days to dive, and would like a few suggestions. None of us are cave certified. Also would like to know what shops you might reccomend?

My recommendation for dive shops are Crystal Lodge Dive Center,Adventure Dive center or Byrds Underwater. I rented boats from Crystal Lodge and have been on one trip with Adventure Dive in the Rainbow River. I got some very detailed solutions to a problem over the phone from Byrds. These are good places.

Regarding Dives:
The gulf is VERY SHALLOW here (Hernando & Citrus County). It is about 1.5' deep for every mile you travel offshore. Charter boats will cost $75-$125 depending on who you use and how far out they travel, and you probably wont get over 60' deep. Gulf diving is lower vis 5'-30' max and is great for spearfishing. Not so great for pictures or bright colored ornamental fishes.
If you go a little to the south in Pascso and Pinellas county it gets deeper offshore faster. I recommend Wet Yet Dive charters with Capt Earl in Pasco and Eastern Gulf enterprises with Capt Ty in Pinellas.
You can dive springs in the Homossassa River, Crystal River, and drift the Rainbow river. Other springs are Blue Grotto, Devils Den, Paradise Springs, Ginnie Springs, Manatee Springs. Some of these will have overhead environment so ask lots of questions before traveling there.
The best diving is a short trip across the state to the eastern shore. Jupiter, Boynton Bch, W Palm Bch, Ft Lauderale are all less than 5 hour drive and have much better vis. and lower boat charter rates. The ornamental fish are much more abundant there as well.

I hope this gives you some places to start looking. If you have any questions or need a buddy PM me and I will see what I can do help!

Safe Diving!

My recommendation for dive shops are Crystal Lodge Dive Center,Adventure Dive center or Byrds Underwater. I rented boats from Crystal Lodge and have been on one trip with Adventure Dive in the Rainbow River. I got some very detailed solutions to a problem over the phone from Byrds. These are good places.

Regarding Dives:
The gulf is VERY SHALLOW here (Hernando & Citrus County). It is about 1.5' deep for every mile you travel offshore. Charter boats will cost $75-$125 depending on who you use and how far out they travel, and you probably wont get over 60' deep. Gulf diving is lower vis 5'-30' max and is great for spearfishing. Not so great for pictures or bright colored ornamental fishes.
If you go a little to the south in Pascso and Pinellas county it gets deeper offshore faster. I recommend Wet Yet Dive charters with Capt Earl in Pasco and Eastern Gulf enterprises with Capt Ty in Pinellas.
You can dive springs in the Homossassa River, Crystal River, and drift the Rainbow river. Other springs are Blue Grotto, Devils Den, Paradise Springs, Ginnie Springs, Manatee Springs. Some of these will have overhead environment so ask lots of questions before traveling there.
The best diving is a short trip across the state to the eastern shore. Jupiter, Boynton Bch, W Palm Bch, Ft Lauderale are all less than 5 hour drive and have much better vis. and lower boat charter rates. The ornamental fish are much more abundant there as well.

I hope this gives you some places to start looking. If you have any questions or need a buddy PM me and I will see what I can do help!

Safe Diving!

Salmonboy, thanks for the information, should be of great help. I think we are going to try and rent a pontoon boat one day. I also think we are going to forego gulf diving, don't want to spend a whole day for just two dives that probably won't be that good. What are the temps in the springs in March? Would a 3mm wetsuit be OK, or do we need to bring 5mm or 7mm.

I wish I was there now, we are frozen in here in the Tulsa area.

The springs are a constant 72 degrees year round. They are a warm dive in the winter and a cold dive in the summer.
If you are going to rent a pontoon for the Crystal River springs you should call the Crystal Lodge Dive Center. At this dive shop they give you a breifing of where you can go (regarding manatees) and what you can do as well as provide you with a map.
There is really nothing I know of to dive on the Homosassa river. The only time I have been on this river was to snorkel with the Manatees. I dont remember who we rented a pontoon that time. If you are interested I will try to look them up for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom