Home Nitrox System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker:
Not much secret to the Lf hyper filters. When I asked what in them, I was told mostly 13x and carbon just like the primaries, with some HP (high purity) carbon and a little silca gel at the very end.

Interesting. That wasn't what I have been told from LF...

LF actually wants to see how copycat can copy their hyper filter cartridge.

UFG8R:
How much is the LF hyper filter?

You mean an appliance or catridge?

The smallest one is about $1.5K with 7,000CF.. It is a darn well made filtration and portable.

I feel your pain brother; well not anymore I don't. Same reasons I got one though. It's the best. No more hassles, driving, lugging tanks, you can do your own VIP's, fill to whatever pressure you want, changes mixes anytime you want, pleading to get your tanks filled.

It will be everything you imagined and more. :14:

I do strongly recommend getting the Oxyhacker book and consider continuous blending. There are a lot of advantages, especially if you don't have a Haskel. And you will need a larger filter, but their are cheaper options besides LF's hyper-expensive models.

Wow! 6 month has pass like just last week. Anyway I have been procrasinating in purchasing a compressor. Not to mention. Winter (colder water) didn't help very much in motivating me to pull the trigger.

Anyway during this time lapse. I have move further south and now year round diving is a reality. Coldest water temperature in winter will be 71-72. BTW. My new LDS has been great. Customer service is A+++. They are Diver Supply in Florida City off US1. $14.95 for one fill of nitrox up to 36%.

Now that spring is here. I seriously need to get this purchase completed soon. Here are my thoughts. Since this purchase is for convenience more than anything else. I've narrow it down to a Nuvair Traveler membrane system.

I will pass on the nitrox stick setup. Since with the nitrox stick I will still have to deal with the 02 folk for replenishing the 02 bank. Plus I won't be able to have nitrox refilling capability on the boat while on a Bimini or Tortuga trip.

So is there anyone here that own one of these Nuvair membrane system. Please do share your ownership experience. I'd love to hear it.
or
If you know anyone that has a used one for sell in excellent condition. I would consider it.

$15 for a nitrox fill? JESUS! I pay $4.50 or so for my AL80's to be filled with 32%!

UCF diver. You are in my area. Where are you getting your fills?

The only place I know that cheap is Fun To Dive Scuba in Sanford.

The transportable membrane/compressor is interesting but one needs to consider that a source of lP air is needed. That represents a fairly large and heavy low pressure air compressor to drive the input side of the membrane. There may also be a requirement to preheat the air. The air must be very clean. So, if one doesn't mind the racket of two, gas powered compressors running, can tolerate the exhaust gas and find space for the equipment, have at it. Arranging for oxygen supply tanks and a small mixing stik is not much better, I suppose. I carry a couple of 110 cf oxygen tanks on board which I fill from a supply tank at my diving locker (booster). Nitrox refills can be a hassle on a small boat but if the boat is larger or the refills are done on the tailgate instead of a boat, not so cramped and rolly polly as in a sea. One thing about carrying oxygen on board; that stuff can be used for treatment or wet recompression of a sick diver.

My understanding from communication with the Nuvair rep is that this Traveller unit is "turn key." At home or on the boat. Put gas, start, whip on and fill. Takes about 1/2 hour per tank.

To me - that is total convenience. The only modification I will do is add a premium muffler for quieter operation.

pescador775 - you do bring up a great point.

For mobility use - using normal size tank for O2 banking. According to my math - one HP120 O2 bank should refill 8 HP120 tanks at 32% nitrox.

So here is a potential senario. Say me and my wife plus another couple want to go the Tortuga for 4 days get away. We estimate that each of us will try to get in 2 dives per day.

Senario #1 - Just nitrox tanks.
That would mean I would need to carry 32 tanks.
52 lb each = 1664 lb

Senario #2 - Nitrox mixing stick
That would mean I would need to carry 4 nitrox tanks and 4 O2 bank tanks.
100 lb for compressor and 416 lb for 8 tanks = 516 lb

Senario #2 - Nitrox membrane
That would mean I would need to carry 4 nitrox tanks.
125 lb for compressor and 208 lb for 4 tanks = 333 lb
Add another 52lb for a safety O2 tank = 385 lb

The bottomline is: especially for portability usage - the safety of not having to deal with highly explosive/volitale 100% O2 while on a moving boat. Membrane is the better system that is idiot/mistake proof.

This is an interesting thread. I just checked the Nuvair site. I too thought you would need a separate supply air compressor to drive the membrane system. That's how the one I'm familiar with works. And, I think that is true for the smaller Traveler. But, the Traveler II does seem to be totally selfcontained. And it's weight is that which the OP quoted above. My big question is "how much"? I don't see a price, or anyway to put one in the shopping cart. This is pretty heave to be a portable system, by my defination of portable - being able to lift it over the gunnels of my ski boat while on the trailer (needs to clear 6 foot) and then transfer from the ski boat to the houseboat deck on the water where there really isn't enough room for more than 2 people. Sure would like to hear more about this though.

Portable??? Well, if you got three men and a boy! These things are pretty heavy but work great! Nuvair makes all the Nitrox systems for ColtriSub and this little system is pretty cool. Yes, it is heavy, but it can be put where you want it and pump as much Nitrox as you and a couple of buddies can use all day. It ain't cheap ... it is $9995 before any add ons or shipping. But maintenance is fairly cheap ... around $100-200 per year, and easy ... change filters and oil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom