Home Nitrox System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your handy just build your own nitrox stik (under $100).

Pick up a used compressor and switch it to synthetic (if it is not already using it).

O2 Analyzer is $100 in kit form from Oxycheq.

A few cascade bottles are nice too if you can find them but not required.

Skippy31

skippy are you saying that ANY compressor running synthetic is appropriate for breathable air?
if not, can someone point out the differences between a compressor meant to power tools etc. and one capable of filling scuba cylinders?

thanks
Jim

one reason is typically hand tools require 125-175psi. Your dive would not last very long if thats all your scuba compressor could achieve.

Jim,

power tools compressor (1 stage) only achieve 175psi max. (typically $150-$500)
scuba compressor (3 or 4 stages) can achieve 4500psi or more. (typically $3500 - $10,000 plus)

Yes to be clear I'm talking about a 3 or 4 stage oil lubed breathing air compressor.

Also I should point out that all breathing air compressor use several oil/water separators along with one or more filter stacks to ensure the air meets all breathing air standards.

I was simply discussing how to pump nitrox using a normal breathing air compressor (with synthetic oil).

Skippy31

thanks guys, i knew the output pressure was FAR too low to fill a cylinder. however i didnt consider the fact that shop compressors arent designed to hold thousands of psi. (meaning the compressors must supply more than the output, but not enough for this subject it would seem)
the internal pressures are somewhat higher than output pressures otherwise the compressor would turn on everytime i used an air tool, but again i didnt consider the limits of the holding tank, and single (sometimes double) stage restrictions.

...so for clarification, assuming 3 or 4 stage used compressor, you would run synthetic, and provided it was in serviceable condition (relative term, i know) could use it for breathable air? no additional work required? special scuba voodoo? anything?
sorry if im being a pest, just curious as to the differences. not that im going to try it anytime soon, i was just under the impression that there was more different than there was in common between class e (i think), and lower classification compressors

thanks again

edit~~~
thanks skippy! good timing = D

skippy31:
For anyone wanting to learn more about breathing air compressors and filtration this is an extremely useful link to read:

http://www.neptunoworld.com/articles/compressors.html

Skippy31
Very good info - thanks for the post. I too am interested in a compressor, and possibly NITROX, although that is secondary. But mine must be portable, and run on gasoline. I boat on Lake Powell, and the nearest fill is way over 4 hours away...maybe more since I'm not really sure where the nearest is, but I am not aware of anything within 4 hours that will fill for recreational divers. Both the Marina concessionaire and National Park Service have their own compressors, but won't fill recreation divers. I would be looking to fill 4-6 tanks a day, for a week vacation, but the time to fill is not a real issue (assuming it doesn't take all night or over 24 hours). What are your suggestions? Would they be different if we wanted to incorporate NITROX?

pescador775:
Here is an useful article relating to costs of ownership:
http://scubafrum.org/cgi-scuba/akcs-www?post=9

Insert an "o" into "forum" and paste into your browser. Sorry for the inconvenience

http://***************/cgi-scuba/akcs-www?post=9

The price has been jacked up since 2004.
I also have an exact same hyper filter appliance that he has. It is a darn great unit.

To OP, if you want to have the brand new unit, it would be more than at least $5k for the compressor, filtration, and nitrox stick, etc.....

If you have some permament buddies who will share your air/nitrox, the initial cost will be offset very quickly. In addition, you have to also consider saving the travel cost. It will be even better...

5K is the budget and I am ready to buy today. Just not exactly sure which one to buy. Just so limited info on what's available.

Back
Top Bottom