Home Nitrox System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though do keep in mind that by continuous mixing you are spared the most mickey mouse and dangerous aspects of handling O2, in that you are taking the O2 out of a genuine official designed-and-built-for 100% O2 tank, and running it through a DABF 100% regulator attached to that tank, after which the pressure is so reduced as to present very little danger. Unlike PP mixing where you have a whole chain of possible troublespots.

Once the O2 reaches the mixer, the dangers (compressor combustion, carbon build up) are identical for continuous and membrane. Personally I would rather lug a tank of O2 and a compressor, than a whole membrane setup, and rather operate it on shipboard as well, just on the KISS principle.

The bottomline is: especially for portability usage - the safety of not having to deal with highly explosive/volitale 100% O2 while on a moving boat. Membrane is the better system that is idiot/mistake proof.

Is storing o2 below decks of a ship/boat a good thing to do though?

Is installing a fuel tank below decks of a ship/boat a good thing to do? Is having a propane stove and galley below decks a good thing? Is storing flares below decks a good thing? Is smoking below decks a good thing? Is having electrical wiring below decks a good thing? Is having through hull fittings, pumps and drains below decks a good thing? Is f*rting below decks a good thing?

Is installing a fuel tank below decks of a ship/boat a good thing to do? Is having a propane stove and galley below decks a good thing? Is storing flares below decks a good thing? Is smoking below decks a good thing? Is having electrical wiring below decks a good thing? Is having through hull fittings, pumps and drains below decks a good thing? Is f*rting below decks a good thing?

Each of those is a separate consideration. Fuel is acceptable as long as it is vented externally. If gasoline, it is preferably separated by a bulkhead. Propane is only acceptable if the tank is in a separate sealed, vented compartment from living/bilge areas and should have a solenoid shutoff. Smoking is not acceptable anywhere today. Wiring should meet marine standards. F*rting, as it is a possible ignition source, is dependent on how much.

Thanks for the clarification on the Traveller. That obviously won't work.

Bummer. So much for membrane system. Traveller II is what I need however at 385lb - it is out of the question. 100lb is portable and 150lb would be pushing it.

Back to the drawing board. At this point. I may have to settle for a nitrox stick blending setup.

At home. I will blend nitrox.
On the boat. I will go with just air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom