Home made SNUBA for lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eowens

Reaction score
Has anyone bought or made their own SNUBA system for shallow water diving or lobstering/scalloping? I would like to hear/see how you made the system and if it would be compatablle with a sit on top kayak for use in the Florida Keys.

Thanks for any replies
Big Ev.

eowens:
Has anyone bought or made their own SNUBA system for shallow water diving or lobstering/scalloping? I would like to hear/see how you made the system and if it would be compatablle with a sit on top kayak for use in the Florida Keys.

Thanks for any replies
Big Ev.

What would be the advantage over just wearing your SCUBA gear?

Terry

eowens:

Thanks for any replies
Big Ev.

The problem with putting a compressor on top of a Kayak is that it will be top heavy on a somewhat narrow platform. A wave or wind could flip the kayak (with compressor). over which would have a noticable impact on deliverying air to you as a diver.

You would also want to make sure you used a "continuous duty" compressor instead of one that's meant to cycle on/off with an accumulator tank.

By the time you bought all the stuff(compressor, kayak, regulators, hoses, etc) I think that you'll find the scuba gear is cheaper and more practicle.

mike_s:
The problem with putting a compressor on top of a Kayak is that it will be top heavy on a somewhat narrow platform. A wave or wind could flip the kayak (with compressor). over which would have a noticable impact on deliverying air to you as a diver.
I would hurt like heck if it fell on you too. :bonk:

What does "SNUBA" stand for??? Surface something underwater breathing apparatus?

WD

I haven't tried making one, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Personally though, I'd design it to be towed behind the kayak instead of mounted on it, so that the compressor wouldn't be compromised by the kayak rolling, and the kayak wouldn't be destabilized by the weight of the unit.

MSilvia:
I haven't tried making one, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Personally though, I'd design it to be towed behind the kayak instead of mounted on it, so that the compressor wouldn't be compromised by the kayak rolling, and the kayak wouldn't be destabilized by the weight of the unit.

I'd be worried about the compressor sucking up CO and various other nasties from the engine exhaust.

Terry

willydiver:
What does "SNUBA" stand for??? Surface something underwater breathing apparatus?

WD
I think they just crossed the words snorkeling and scuba, rather than the letters standing for anything.

Web Monkey:
I'd be worried about the compressor sucking up CO and various other nasties from the engine exhaust.

Terry
Terry, you must have a much fancier kayak than I'm used to. Call me old fashioned, but I assumed it would be paddled to the site. I've seen hundreds of them in use, but never with an engine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom