Home Compressor suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Oceanus is a great portable compressor for the boat, but is really just a Junior II with a larger first stage head and an oil pump (needed for a boat since it rocks). It's a lot of money for a rather small compressor IMHO.

I think a Bauer Capitano or Mariner would be the ticket if your filling at home. The rated capacity isn't much more than the Oceanus, but it's not working near as hard to get it and is going to last much longer.

I've got a Bauer Utilus which is a Capitano with a smaller first stage head and should last me as long as I'll be diving. I've also got a Junior II, which is a fine compressor as well, but it turns much faster and gets a lot hotter.

Good luck and take your time. It's a big investment and shopping is half the fun!

Dave

I took the new one because I don't have no idea about compressor. I think I did a right decision. If you don't have that much idea dn time, the brand new option will be the best.

I also recommend Alkin W31. It is a quite and meet all you needs. You can get a whole set up including an extra filtration at around $4.5K (shipped to your door).

Surface Tension:
The Oceanus is a great portable compressor for the boat, but is really just a Junior II with a larger first stage head and an oil pump (needed for a boat since it rocks). It's a lot of money for a rather small compressor IMHO.
Dave
Would you or anyone else elaborate on this? I didn't know this was even a consideration.

I am hoping to get a compressor, but one requirement is it would have to work on my houseboat. I don't have 110/220 on the the boat, only a very small portable genset, I use mostly to power electric tools. So, gas power is necessary. The houseboat is of pontoon-style, we are not talking a motor yacht. How much movement is too much? I'm assuming the problem is the oil pump picking up oil in the sump?

I'm looking at filling 4 -6 bottles a day, for 3 or 4 week long trips on the houseboat. This means it would have to be light enough for 2 people to load into a truck or ski boat, and then from the ski boat onto the rear deck of the houseboat. I say 2 people, because, in my experience there really isn't room for more to get around an item like this on small boats.

Beyond that, it would be 3 - 4 tanks a week, a couple weeks a month in the summer, and maybe 2-3 tanks a month in the winter. I'm not looking at NITROX immediately, but want to buy with that option for the future. This would be fills at home, wheeling the compressor out to the patio. But, it would also be nice to be able to load it in a truck/trailer/motorhome, and take to some more remote areas where dive shops are 4+ hours away.

I would call Bauer to verify, but it is my understanding that the Junior II is splash lubricated which is why it needs to sit relatively level. Any compressor with a dedicated oil pump should work for you, but this is really more of an issue in larger vessels. If your houseboat is doing any significant rocking I think the last thing you'll want to be doing is filling tanks.

And I'm not pushing Bauer specifically, their pumps are just what I am familiar with. Give Alkin a call too, I'm sure they have got one that will work fine as well.

Small gasoline driven compressors are cheap ... $3090 list. And, yes, they are supposed to be within 15 degrees of level to operate properly. But that should be no problem on a houseboat. I have LOTS of boaters using our compressors with no problems.

If you plan on keeping it out on deck somewhere, I suggest that you opt for the framed configuration. That way, you can put a cushion on top and use it as a bench when not pumping air. Plus, the frame protects from sitting anything on a hot gasoline exhaust accidentally.

Just my $.02

My buddies compressor is sold.

Brent

Waterskier, the Junior is OK for use on boats but should be shut down in a heavy sea with tilt angles greater than 15- 20 degrees. Sailboats typically generate impressive angles during tacks on relatively calm seas unless it is a cat. The pressurized system of the Oceanus draws oil from a sump. The Oceanus sump holds a liter of oil, is deeper and is less susceptible to oil pressure drop in a seaway. However, only a dry sump system like the Walter Kidde can be operated at any angle, even upside down-- but why would you want to? I, for one, am not going to try to fill tanks and puke at the same time. Moreover, we haven't even discussed the issues with small gas engines which also have tilt limits.

I went the surplus stewart warner route with a 5 HP Honda gas engine and have had no concerns at all. It will run continuously if needed, delivers consistent fill times and is easily portable by a single person. It will require a minor modification to the inlet for scuba use to attach an intake hose to get the intake away from the exhaust but that only took about an hour to do. It will also require the addiiton of a filter, but you can find 2" diameter hand packable surplus cannisters that will fit on the underside of the frame for a very compact and low profile installation.

Any chance you could share the info regarding the sourse for the filters / coalescors?
I am trying to go the same route: surplus compressor / electric or gasoline engine but the filtration is my biggest concern.
Thank You.
Nick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom