Homage to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I pay homage to the DIR gods today.

During my padi advance check out dives today students and dive masters were gawking at me - they didnt know what to make of DIR setup or trim. Both were constantly checking to see if I was ok after frog kicking slowly during navigation and slow horizontal ascents. Apparently its a competitive event for these students. I went from platfrom to platform and found myself staring at my buddy's knees as he waited for me standing on the platform like a duck. It was painfull to see as I began to hover and wait for him to bark out the next plan (he was obviously large & in charge). I eventually had to put my hand up and look up during ascents to stop them from worrying about me. Its really depressing to realize my DIR course had rigor way beyond the padi advanced level. Thank you DIR.

bmuise:

During my padi advance check out dives today students and dive masters were gawking at me - they didnt know what to make of DIR setup or trim. Both were constantly checking to see if I was ok after frog kicking slowly during navigation and slow horizontal ascents. Apparently its a competitive event for these students. I went from platfrom to platform and found myself staring at my buddy's knees as he waited for me standing on the platform like a duck. It was painfull to see as I began to hover and wait for him to bark out the next plan (he was obviously large & in charge). I eventually had to put my hand up and look up during ascents to stop them from worrying about me. Its really depressing to realize my DIR course had rigor way beyond the padi advanced level. Thank you DIR.

I find it hard to beleave you are even a diver if you went from Dir to a padi course , please tell us more

bmuise:
Its really depressing to realize my DIR course had rigor way beyond the padi advanced level.
Don't worry. You'll get over it. I don't think depression is DIR.

bmuise:

During my padi advance check out dives today students and dive masters were gawking at me - they didnt know what to make of DIR setup or trim.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new found skill but while good trim and buoyancy control isn't as common as it should be it's not the least bit DIR specific.
Both were constantly checking to see if I was ok after frog kicking slowly during navigation and slow horizontal ascents. Apparently its a competitive event for these students. I went from platfrom to platform and found myself staring at my buddy's knees as he waited for me standing on the platform like a duck. It was painfull to see as I began to hover and wait for him to bark out the next plan (he was obviously large & in charge). I eventually had to put my hand up and look up during ascents to stop them from worrying about me. Its really depressing to realize my DIR course had rigor way beyond the padi advanced level. Thank you DIR.
Doesn't GUE teach that sequence is decided on prior to the dive and that divers stay together including during descent and descent? Doing so is as much your responsibility as theirs. Right? Did you and your buddy briefe prior to beginning the dive?

bmuise,

Just to explain my last post a little. I'm one who is of the opinion that dive training in general is in pretty sad shape. However, your fellow students in that class are a product of that training system and they're diving the way they were taught not the way they have chosen to dive. You're going to see a lot of this throughout your diving and you have a choice. You can show off (thats easy) and make fun of the multitudes who dive like crap or you can try to be a posative influence and help improve the diving of those you dive with.

Just as a suggestion, do a little briefing with a buddy before a dive even if it's in a class and the instructor is briefing the dive objectives. Debriefe after the dive to review what went well and what didn't go so well. If you're skill and comfort in the water impressed your buddy they might have questions and you might have an oportimity to really help some one elses diving. On the other hand if you just appear smug and a show off (like if your buddy reads your comments about them here) you might create a real DIR hater.

Just a thought.

Good points.
I hear you loud and clear Mike.

MikeFerrara:
bmuise,

Just to explain my last post a little. I'm one who is of the opinion that dive training in general is in pretty sad shape. However, your fellow students in that class are a product of that training system and they're diving the way they were taught not the way they have chosen to dive. You're going to see a lot of this throughout your diving and you have a choice. You can show off (thats easy) and make fun of the multitudes who dive like crap or you can try to be a posative influence and help improve the diving of those you dive with.

Just as a suggestion, do a little briefing with a buddy before a dive even if it's in a class and the instructor is briefing the dive objectives. Debriefe after the dive to review what went well and what didn't go so well. If you're skill and comfort in the water impressed your buddy they might have questions and you might have an oportimity to really help some one elses diving. On the other hand if you just appear smug and a show off (like if your buddy reads your comments about them here) you might create a real DIR hater.

Just a thought.

bmuise:

I went from platfrom to platform and found myself staring at my buddy's knees as he waited for me standing on the platform like a duck. .......I eventually had to put my hand up and look up during ascents to stop them from worrying about me.

Its really depressing to realize my DIR course had rigor way beyond the padi advanced level. Thank you DIR.

Congratulations on the fine trim and finning.

Perhaps it is time to review team protocol / buddy procedures, either PADI or DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom