Holy S...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was a much more informed analysis than the "expert commentary" in the original posted video. Thanks for the link!

I was watching this video on youtube and tons of people were commenting saying it was a shark attack and that it was being covered up for some reason....sounds pretty paranoid to me.

Here's how I see it. He was overweighted and probably had an inflator malfunction which got him deep enough to get narced out of his mind. Soon after he reached 81 meters and at this point was panicing from narcosis. As oxygen toxicity begins to set in he experiences the common facial twitch which causes him to lose his regulator and he dies soon after of drowning induced by oxygen toxicity seizures.

I've seen the video over and over and I don't see any shark.....or any conspiracy. opinions?

Somebody actually belives that the diver was killed by a shark and that, incredibly, there is a cover-up of the attack? Cover-up by whom? Why?

Maybe it's the CIA - in cooperation with some space aliens.

Someone asked earlier about the Russian word for help. I believe it sounds something like "pomoch," with the ch at the end sort of soft, like in the word church.

Someone asked earlier about the Russian word for help. I believe it sounds something like "pomoch," with the ch at the end sort of soft, like in the word church.

Thanks for the factual approach! I was almost thinking the "help" rumor was going to catch fire! :shakehead:

The sound was consistent with regulator noise and not unusual and not at all contributory to the accident, IMHO.

Dave C

If this guy was an instructor there are a few things that he should have done that I as an AOW diver would have done.

If he knew something was wrong (over weight) why did he not drop his weights and perform a controlled emergency ascent? I can understand that he may have had a malfunction of some sort at depth but why would not dive with a support staff (aka BUDDY) if he was trying to break a depth record? Did he not calculate how much air he would have consumed at that depth and how much he would have needed to ascend and perform a safety stop. Lets think about basic rules of scuba diving for a minute.

1. Dive within our limits.
2. Never hold your breath.
3. Plan your dive and dive your plan.
4. Look good doing it.
5. ALWAYS HAVE A BUDDY.

He as an instructor and should have known that stupidity never pays positive dividends underwater. Yes it is sad that this guy died but he died because of diver error. In this case it is more along the lines of diver stupidity.

Sadly, this man made poor choices that were way outside the scope of safe diving.
If he was an instructor, this will be the most important lesson that his diving students ever recieve.

There is really no place for diving like this. If a dive site has a deep bottom and you plan on going there, a single Al80 just isn't going to cut it.

One of my dive buddies lost an instructor for very similar reasons, in a cave environment.

Heres one for a try, train for the environment you wish to dive in and then follow that training.

This diver was not fit for this dive environment, and could not save his own life much less handle a camera at the same time. Underwater video and photography are very interesting and fun to do, but one must be able to handle the dive before adding cameras and toys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom