Holy Grails of Hawaii Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twhi

Reaction score
# of dives
Since we have recent posts of Dragon eels as the Holy Grail of eels and the Jolly Green Giant as Holy Grail of nudibranchs, does anyone else have any elusive, rarely seen underwater Holy Grails?

One of mine is boarfish, which I've seen twice. I also like flying gurnards.

Anybody else?

any physical artifacts with historical significance...

My personal holy grail right now is a P-47, which I know sunk intact in approx 200' of water and I have a pretty good location on it based on war reports....

The hunt is almost as much fun as finding it.

Does a whale shark count??? I was lucky enough to see one (20+') in the middle of the channel between Lanai & Maui coming back from a boat dive!!

The Captain stopped and let us off to snorkel with the bugger!!

That's my holly grail!

I guess my holy grail (that would be something you seek out right?) is Frog Fish. Although determined, I have YET :banghead: to find my own. Of course I can barely see one pointed at most of the time.
This may be one very long quest, hope I live long enough.:depressed:

Not really holy grail more keep an eye out for, all the time, are fish that are rare like the male Whitley’s Boxfish. Or not supposed to be here. The Nahacky’s and Japanese Angelfish :blessing:I’ve found make me feel better about those stupid Frogfish.:cross:

I feel extremely fortunate to have seen my first Manta rays and a dragon eel diving Kona and a monk seal and several frogfish diving Kauai and Niihau.

I really have to go back and dive in paradise again real soon!

My current critter wish list includes a humpback (was sooo sure I'd see one this past season :( ) and a tiger shark. Been close to both, just not close enough to see either one.

My list used to include a monk seal and hawksbill turtle. But both of those have become almost regular sightings, especially the turtle (seeing them weekly at the moment).

I have photo's of Whale Shark, Tiger Shark and Humpbacks taken while diving (single dive each), but I long for a second chance on all the above. I free dove with a Monk Seal many times over a couple week period at Molokini and would love to have a scuba interaction. I hope to have a second chance to go for a ride with the retired suicide bomber Bottlenose Dolphin!

My best 30 seconds of '08 so far was 9 Spinner Dolphins checking me out on a solo scooter dive this winter :)

Spinners.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom