hollywood rock pile yellow brick road question ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can only launch a kayak from Hollywood Beach, north off Meade Street, which is north of Sheridan. If I were launching a kayak, I would find something else closer.. maybe go north towards Dania or out to one of the drop offs.

updated info on the Margarvitaville

Hollywood: Margaritaville tweaks contract with Hollywood; city to provide update on Thursday at 6 p.m. - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

City Hall has a slightly new deal with the Margaritaville developer and will hold a meeting this week to clue in the public.
Residents can ask questions about the proposed changes at 6 p.m. Thursday in the city commission chambers.
"These are not dramatic changes," Hollywood spokeswoman Raelin Storey said. "The documents will reflect the addition of Starwood Capital into the project. That was the reason the delay was requested in April, so all of those documents could be finalized."
Developer Lon Tabatchnick has partnered with Starwood in what is now a $146.7 million project. As part of the deal, Hollywood's redevelopment agency has agreed to kick in $23 million for the Jimmy Buffett-themed venture.
Commissioners are expected to vote on the contract at 5 p.m. May 29. Because city land is involved, the project requires a supermajority vote — "yes" votes from at least five of the seven commissioners.
Tabatchnick has until July 5 to take possession of the 5-acre oceanfront site. The 17-story, 349-room resort would rise on city-owned land between Johnson and Michigan streets.
He plans to lease the land for 99 years, paying Hollywood $1 million in the first year alone.
Last month, Tabatchnick told Hollywood officials he could not meet the city's April 10 deadline and needed more time to work out a deal with Starwood.
Officials approved the extension 5-2, with Commissioners Traci Callari and Peter Hernandez dissenting.
"None of the changes seem to be drastic," saidHernandez, who met Monday with Tabatchnick.
Instead of paying an increase of 3 percent in rent every year, the developer will pay a 15 percent increase every five years, Hernandez said.
"That's actually a savings to them," he said.
Hernandez has heard from both fans and critics of the project.
"Here's the biggest fear, that the city will get stuck with a project that's half-finished," he said. "And at the end of the day, we wind up paying the bill."
Commissioner Patricia Asseff dismissed the thought.
"I do believe this will be built, and it will be the greatest thing to happen to Hollywood beach," she said. "Once you build a project like this, other people will want to redevelop their properties. Let's not get blurred vision here."
Commissioner Kevin Biederman voted for the deadline extension in April but said Tuesday that he's still not entirely sold on the project.
"I'm concerned because I think the city was giving more than its fair share," he said. "We're not being asked to give more, but we're being asked to adjust our return."
Biederman said that by his estimates, the tweaking of the contract could end up costing the city $1 million.
"I'm on the fence," he said.

Ugh.. So this is all details.. costing the city more money. Well,, duh! Is anybody surprised?

nope.
starwood is a heavy hitter though :( go to the meeting on thursday! it is open to the public.. and we will find out the final decision next week.

I wish I could go.. too many things on my plate already that I can't move around.

Well, if you're going to have to have a redevelopment project in your back yard, there aren't many better hospitality operators than Starwood. In saying this, I'm assuming by the press release that Starwood is actually investing their own capital (rather than simply granting a franchise agreement) so would have a lot to loose if they do a poor job of operating the hotel/project.

Hopefully access to the beach will be maintained for divers: from earlier plans we know that public parking must be maintained, but if that parking is far from the beach, it could make transporting the equipment difficult.

Hopefully access to the beach will be maintained for divers: from earlier plans we know that public parking must be maintained, but if that parking is far from the beach, it could make transporting the equipment difficult.
Yep. My concern above all else. Granted we are gonna lose the close parking spaces we have now, but how much further are we gonna shlep gear?

someone was saying that the parking garage - or where it is now (i think they are either going to tear it down & rebuild it or incorporate it) - but it was said that a certain number of public access spots were to be made. no info on how much they would charge for parking though!
hmm.. may look into a sturdy wagon to cart my gear.

Hollywood did approve it
Hollywood leaders OK final Margaritaville deal - Broward - MiamiHerald.com
the key in the article for me i think is "The hotel complex will also include a garage with 600 public parking spots, a refurbished band shell and public restrooms."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/29/3423147/hollywood-leaders-ok-final-margaritaville.html#storylink=cpy"

Looks like today's dive is gonna be on the list of last dives on the Yellow Brick Road for a while. Hopefully not the very last, but each dive there gets us closer to the end date.
July 9 the parking lot closes.

The dive today.. Vis was about 25', nothing spectacular, but it was decent. Loads of fish and crustaceans. Good news is I didn't see any lionfish and it wasn't for lack of looking. We swam all the way to the end. Most of the road is no longer covered with sand, which is a good thing. Found a free swimming moray eel who was quite curious. Also hung around a rocky formation for a long while. Found 2 tiger gobies, a roughhead goby and one so small I could barely see it, or identify it's markings. Not sure if it was a goby or a blenny. I could of spent an hour on that formation, but my buddy was having problems with her mask and couldn't see the small stuff..
We also saw so many sailfin blennies that I lost count. They were in 3 different areas, and even on the way in, in that rubble.
Almost 2 hrs of nary a current, but lots of jellies out further. Thankfully they didn't sting at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom