Hollis DC3-212 vs DiveRite RG3ICE opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freerat, now you give me a headache again... :D DRIS stated on their website that the DC3/212 has "1 HP port" so I never expected it to have 2. Uhm, now I have to rethink between the Hog D1 and the Hollis DC3. Anyhow, I already order the Hog. Will wait until I get it and see how it looks/feels in my hand.

BTW, my gf and I were using the Oceanic Delta 4 and the Tusa RS-790. I just sold both of them when they were due for service, then bought another RS-790 new (which will be for my gf) for the same price I sold the old one. Now I'm taking the money from the Delta 4 to shop for a new reg for myself. That's why my budget has a limit :D

Don't blame DRIS, Hollis says it only has 1 HP port on their site. However, Scuba.com on YouTube says it has 2.

Also I think you made a mistake by not standardizing both you and your GF's regulators. It is much easier from a logistics standpoint.

It certainly has two HP ports- do they all? I would imagine so but it's a mystery why they would advertize otherwise??

My wife and I have been using Atomic B2's for many years but we have changed out of them very recently- they breath great and have been reliable but I have always had reservations about the automatic venturi and the seat saving features on the second stage. After much ado I chose the Hollis 500SE for a replacement, we are both photographers and side exhaust helps a little plus it seems they have finally sorted out the wet breathing issue of the original Omega design.
Problem was that they are not yet available or are rare in yoke, and that's what we need for traveling. So I ended up buying two DC3/212 units on clearance sale for $199 and the 500SE second stages for $269 each. Fitted the remaining hoses and gauges from our existing gear and we have both have a new Hollis DC3/500SE with a 212 secondary for $469 total cost- which I think is a good deal!
FYI- the 500SE is more like a Poseidon than just being side exhaust, the dimensions of the mouthpiece tube appear to be identical (big!) and although the supplied mouthpiece is a good one I like to use Seacures/Jax so have had to order a Seacure type 5 for it!
Anyway, off to Cozumel Saturday to get it all wet and then we'll see if I made the right choice- will be taking extra second stages just in case the 500SE's don't work out, but I have a feeling they will!

finally got the HOG D1/switchback today and it is nice. Better than expected from the picture. The build quality is also better than expected from the price as well. Very solid reg, perfect for my rocky shore diving. The size of the switchback 2nd is about as small as the Tusa S90 but heavier. It's as heavy as the Mares Abyss MR22 all metal that I used to owned. Comfo-bite is a must for its weight. I will be looking forward to seeing its performance in the water.

And I agree with ams511, it's eaiser to use the same reg for both me and my gf. Unfortunately she doesn't like the look of the Hog switchback while I get tired of all the pricey Tusa/Oceanic that she likes. So for now, I will stick with my HOG and let her be happy with her Tusa RS-790 :D

Last edited:
I would not dive it and wait for the Black Friday deals. I picked up a pair of Switchbacks a couple of months ago for about $65 each shipped from Divers Supply. I assume those prices will come again or maybe even better.

The Tusa 790 looks to be a re-branded Scubapro S555/MK17. This is the same configuration as the (now discontinued) Subgear Cayman, which I have seen sold for $200 to $300 online.

I would not dive it and wait for the Black Friday deals. I picked up a pair of Switchbacks a couple of months ago for about $65 each shipped from Divers Supply. I assume those prices will come again or maybe even better.

The Tusa 790 looks to be a re-branded Scubapro S555/MK17. This is the same configuration as the (now discontinued) Subgear Cayman, which I have seen sold for $200 to $300 online.

When is/are "Black Friday sales" and who has them? I did ask this once before but forgot and cannot find the post. Cheers.

Budda, are you from Japan or a different planet? Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving which is Friday the 29th of November. Although the sales may start before and last longer. For example they may start on Thanksgiving and last until the Tuesday afterwards. In the US most businesses have Black Friday sales. Check out Fat Wallet or Slick Deals for details.

For Scuba, let me see. DRIS, Scuba Toys, Cave Adventurers, Divers Supply, Piranha, Leisure Pro, Vintage Double Hose and probably some others that I am not on their mailing list.

Budda, are you from Japan or a different planet? Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving which is Friday the 29th of November. Although the sales may start before and last longer. For example they may start on Thanksgiving and last until the Tuesday afterwards. In the US most businesses have Black Friday sales. Check out Fat Wallet or Slick Deals for details.

For Scuba, let me see. DRIS, Scuba Toys, Cave Adventurers, Divers Supply, Piranha, Leisure Pro, Vintage Double Hose and probably some others that I am not on their mailing list.

Am from Japan which at times does feel like a different planet. I'm guessing BF must be American only as I've only ever heard of it on SB. I knew it must have been holiday related but was unsure if it was a regular event or not. OK annual event first Friday after Thankgiving, got it, I'll keep my eye out for some deals. Is everything on sale or just select items? Cheers.

Am from Japan which at times does feel like a different planet. I'm guessing BF must be American only as I've only ever heard of it on SB. I knew it must have been holiday related but was unsure if it was a regular event or not. OK annual event first Friday after Thankgiving, got it, I'll keep my eye out for some deals. Is everything on sale or just select items? Cheers.

What are you looking for? I have already received some emails from Divers Supply and Cave Adventurers about in store deals. I would assume more deals would show up in the next week or two after the DEMA show.

What are you looking for? I have already received some emails from Divers Supply and Cave Adventurers about in store deals. I would assume more deals would show up in the next week or two after the DEMA show.

Drysuit undergarments and maybe some UTD drygloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom