Hollis DC3-212 vs DiveRite RG3ICE opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpamFree307

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the market for a new reg, considering the Hollis DC3-212 and the DiveRite RG3ICE.
What are your opinions on them, pro's vs cons? Which one is a better buy? Any input would be appreciated. Or any other recommendations?

I do mainly recreational shore diving in SoCal, have been using a wide variety of recreational reg over the past 5 years and today's favorites are Oceanic FDX10/Delta 4 (with Atomic swivel) and Tusa RS-790.

BTW, this is my first post and I want to say thank-you to scubaboard.com and all the active members here. Every time I need to know something about scuba, I'm amazed about how much more I can learn here :)

Both are good regs. But have you also looked at the HOG D-1 & Classic second? Or the D-3 & Zenith second stage? Similar hose routing, environmentally sealed, balanced, adjustable seconds, and at nice prices. In addition you can buy the kits and take a class to service it yourself with a couple easy to meet conditions. And you don't need the class to buy the kits. Yes I sell them but before that I was diving them and still do. Have 11 sets now in various configurations for my own personal use.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Have not dove the DR, but our main regs are DC1 w/212's and our pony's have DC3's with 212's and I love them. Great gear at a good cost, not as cheap as HOG, but not as expensive as the other big players.

HOG D1/Classic is another great reg that I was looking at. All 3 have similar features and also same prices for me. Service parts are also available for all 3. So I was thinking of going with the most compact one (really enjoy the small size of the Tusa S90). But LDS here don't have them on display and internet's pictures give me the impression that the HOG classic and the Hollis 212 are bigger than the DiveRite RG3 in that order, aren't they?

How big are these 2nd?

Why don't you give Dive Gear Express or Cave Adventurers a call. Both shops sell the three regulators your interested in. They may be able to give you their subjective impressions on the breathing effort of each one.

BTW, DRIS is selling the Oceanic Delta 4.1/FDX10 for $279.99 which is about $80 over what the other ones are going for.

The TUSA 790 looks to be a re-branded Scubapro MK-17 / S555 which was also sold as the Subgear Cayman. Sometimes you can find them going for cheap.

If you shop around right now there are some really good clearance deals on the Hollis DC3/212 ($199), these are very good breathing regs and the DC3 is basicly a DC1 without the turret.
My only reservation about the 212 (and its a non-issue for most people) is that the demand valve barrel is made of plastic instead of metal. In theory the metal should last longer and return a little more moisture when breathing. But there are apparently a lot of tech divers who have been using these regs deep and in caves for a years and I have never heard of any issues or complaints; I would be happy to use one as a primary.

I too love the design and performance of the Hollis 212 despite the "issue" that you described. Very close to getting it but then I realized it has only 1HP port. I prefer 2 to attach a backup SPG on the deep dives without having to spend more for a port splitter. Specially when I'm using this as my primary. Would love to get the DC1/212 if my budget was a little more generous haha.
I couldn't find much review/info/opinions on the DiveRite RG3ICE compared to the Hog and Hollis, so I shy away from it a little.
Finally made up my mind to pick up a Hog DC1/Switchback instead. Something I will most likely not be disappointed. And in the near future when I get training for double or sidemount, I can just pick up another set and will be good to go.
Many thanks for all your opinions.

[QUOTE= "Very close to getting it but then I realized it has only 1HP port. I prefer 2 to attach a backup SPG on the deep dives without having to spend more for a port splitter."

I was under the impression they only had one HP port as well but mine definitely has 2, one on each side although not directly opposite each other as you would expect! In the fact the left hand HP port (first stage with enviro seal facing down) is positioned where I would normally expect a LP port for a left sided primary.
Yes it IS a DC3 (no turret) that was bought recently with a 212 second and the maxflex hose from DiveAddicts. I too was surprized when I pulled the port plugs and discovered two HP's.

Not much to add of any real worth but I used to own a DR it breathed fine but was a little on the wet side for my liking. FWIW the Hollis I've read breathes bone dry in all positions.

I would pass on both of them, since you like the delta 4 get it since you can get a good price on them right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom