Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pogonotroph

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a beginner diver looking for a "relatively affordable" (<$500) regulator set appropriate for diving in the Puget Sound. I've been looking specifically at Hog, Dive Rite, and Apeks regs but am open to anything that's environmentally sealed, balanced diaphragm, and has a swivel turret first stage. I've gone back and forth between buying new vs used regs.

I've recently come across DGX's deals for these Hollis DC1/212 packages, and they seem much cheaper than any other midrange regulator set out there. Can anyone comment on the quality of these Hollis regs? I've searched previous scubaboard threads but couldn't find much. I'm skeptical as the price seems too good to be true!

I'm also open to any other recommendations or general advice on buying a first reg...

Last edited:
the 212 are plastic tubed 2nds iirc, i would pick something with a metal tube for pnw

the 212 are plastic tubed 2nds iirc, i would pick something with a metal tube for pnw

Good point. Might be a concern for cold water diving. Although I thought icing issues typically are a problem with first stages. I live in Florida where there is no natural ice, so about the only thing I know about ice on the water is it's good for keeping beer and fish cold. :D

icing happens on the first stage typically at the surface if the reg is wet but exposed to cold air and you breathe on it, though it can happen at depth. Second stages freeze while diving for the same reason the first stage freezes at the surface. You have adiabatic cooling going on when the gas goes from IP to ambient, on a barrel that is kept moist by condensation from your breath=recipe for ice cube. Metal barrels, especially those with the metal nuts and adjustment knobs to the water help to act like a heat sink to keep that interior barrel above freezing.

Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Regulator Backmount Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
this is still the best buy in regulators right now. It is more expensive than the Hollis, but unlike Hollis, you have the ability to choose to service them yourself, historically the customer service is much better for Dive Rite than Hollis, and with the doubles package you already have the parts to dive with an H-valve or pony bottle *both of which are very popular in your neck of the woods*, go to doubles or sidemount, bit less popular for shore diving, or have the peace of mind that if the first stage fails, which is more likely to happen. Instead of being forced to pay expedited service for your whole regulator set, you just swap the hoses over to the other first stage and go, and you don't lose a dive or dive weekend because of it.

I am actually looking for two sets of singles regulators, one for me and one for my wife. Would two of these Hog Singles Packages from DRIS be a better deal for me, or should I go with the Dive Rite XT Backmount Package you mention? The way I see it, if I get two singles packages now, I could just turn these two packages into one doubles package if I decide I want to dive doubles down the road. But if I go with the backmount doubles package now, then I would need to pick up 2 extra second stages (~$150 each for a Dive Rite XT reg) and also buy another SPG and extra hosing (Say another $150 for all this?), bringing the total to ~$1,150. I could also get a sidemount Dive Rite package for $700, which includes 2 SPGs, so I would only need to pick up 2 more second stages and some hosing, which seems like it would be a slightly cheaper option than the backmount package. The cheapest option would still be 2 x Hog Singles Package (~$1,020) though...is Dive Rite worth spending a bit more on compared to the Hogs?

you already have the parts to dive with an H-valve or pony bottle *both of which are very popular in your neck of the woods*

Excuse my newbie ignorance but could you explain why H-valves and ponies are more popular in the PNW? Does it have to do with wanting increased redundancy in cold water conditions, or are there just more technically minded divers up here?

the dive rite package is pretty solid if it works for your budget. there are some cheaper hog options available with some caveats.

http://www.divers-supply.com/scuba/regulators/hog-bp2-balanced-piston-first-stage.html

downside is you would have to get it sealed with grease for cold water diving as it isn't dry sealed. not sure if divers supply would do it for a fee

Edge Enduro Brass Octopus

simpler octo, not as high performance as a hog classic 2nd or the dive rite xt 2nd

taken together, you should be able to keep the cost per set to 400.

Back
Top Bottom