Hollis DC1/2+212 VS. HOG D1/2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarcharodonCarcharias

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings,

New to the forum. Looking to get some opinions/info/user experience with Hollis DS1/2 + 212 and HOG D1/2.

Looking to get a new setup. Would like to get all your inputs and pros/cons of these two setup.

Also, I am well aware of the merits of SP, Atomic, AL, Apeks, and etc. Hence I would like to keep this thread strictly on the aforementioned setup.

Any opinions/info/user experiences provided will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :D

I have own Hollis DC2/212 setup, while not exactly the same setup, but I think they are simialr enough. Here is how I feel about Hollis regulators. Let me first say I was overall satisfied with the performance of my Hollis regulator.

Pros:
1. very good service from Hollis, you can always call and speak to someone about the issue. Still depeding on where you live, but finding LDS that supports Hollis is quite easy. I assume this is true at least in North America.
2. good performance overall
3. If you look around, you can find very good deal. Hollis has put their item on deep discount one a while

Cons:
1. 212 2nd stage build quality and material is quite subpar IMO. Plastic case is thin, feels hollow. Air tube is all plastic too. The whole thing is very light weight, and feel filmsy.
2. The 212 I had came with comfort swivel, which later I found it can't be swap out with normal LP hose without replace the entire value body/air tube, which would cost ~$100. So be careful about choosing their swivel deisgn
3. You really need to find a good deal to begin with. Because of the Pro#3, their resale value is pretty low. I got my DC2/212 for what I through was good deal. Two months later, the same reg was in official Hollis discount for about 60% of what I paid. I wouldn't have cared if Con#2 wasn't there. So I faced the decision of 1) swap out the air tube for swivel delete for $100 or 2) just sell the reg and get something else that fit my usage. Due to other issue I had with DC2 1st stage (which may not apply to DC1), I decided to move away from Hollis. So use for 2 monthes, maybe 10 dives, I sold it at 1/3 of what I paid for.

I think Con#2 and #3 were partially my fault for now knowing what I am getting. But still, you can see my experice with Hollis reg wasn't the best.

Slightly off topic, I find it odd that someone has asked actually about HOG and there has been only one reply. Ask about two non HOG regs and you'll get lots of replies recommending HOG, strange. There is another HOG related thread also currently running that has also only received one reply. Maybe people are busy this week.

To the OP of the two you've listed I'd likely go the HOG as its cheaper and I doubt you could tell the difference breathing of either. I have seen lots of positive reviews about HOG not so many on Hollis. Added bonus for me would be that with HOG I can buy service kits.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2013 at 09:18 PM ----------

Just realised lack of replies could be due to time difference? I'm in another part of the world. In which case ignore my off topic comment.

Hi Eelnoraa,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. To be honest, part of the reason why I am considering Hollis is because of a great deal that I found online, just as you have mentioned on Pro#3.

Would you mind sharing what is your reg set up right now after you have parted with your Hollis? I am going to PM you for an additional question.

Tks! :)

-CC

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 10:34 AM ----------

Hey Buddhasummer,

Thank you for your 2 cents. I guess the possibility that I am considering getting a HOG set up means that the staunch HOG zealots don't feel the need to defend their position hence the lack of responses in this thread? LOL.

You are correct with the maintenance cost though. Be able to do it yourself (should one be so mechanically inclined and talented) will save a lot of money. But I believe Hollis is like HOG as well; they offer courses and sell kits thru LDS to ppl that had taken the course.

Also, just like you, I've seen lots of positive reviews on HOG and not much reviews (pos or neg) on Hollis. That is why I want to see if I can get some user experiences on here and make a comparison.

Tks!

-CC

Sorry, I was mowing the yard for the past few hours. Whew it's hot outside.

I'm a big fan of Hog. I have the D1 for my back gas and the BP2 for my stage bottle.

However, despite what some might think, I'm not a total fan boy. There are many regulators that are similar. I more or less look for:

1) Enviro sealed diaphragm 1st stage for your main tank.
2) Balanced piston is fine if you dive somewhere warm.
3) Balanced piston for a pony /stage bottle.
4) Hose routing that works for your intended use.
5) Easy access to the valve for your intended use.
6) Balanced adjustable 2nd stage with venturi adjustment
7) Full metal barrel in 2nd stage
8) Easily removable 2nd stage cover for easy servicing in water

Everything else comes down to price and where you'll get your support from. Local, remote or DIY.

For me, Hog works really well.

AFAIK with HOG you don't need to have taken the course to buy the service kits.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

Sorry, I was mowing the yard for the past few hours. Whew it's hot outside.

I'm a big fan of Hog. I have the D1 for my back gas and the BP2 for my stage bottle.

However, despite what some might think, I'm not a total fan boy. There are many regulators that are similar. I more or less look for:

1) Enviro sealed diaphragm 1st stage for your main tank.
2) Balanced piston is fine if you dive somewhere warm.
3) Balanced piston for a pony /stage bottle.
4) Hose routing that works for your intended use.
5) Easy access to the valve for your intended use.
6) Balanced adjustable 2nd stage with venturi adjustment
7) Full metal barrel in 2nd stage
8) Easily removable 2nd stage cover for easy servicing in water

Everything else comes down to price and where you'll get your support from. Local, remote or DIY.

For me, Hog works really well.

having recently learnt what "fan boy" is I realised I'm an Mb-sub fan boy, I don't mind. I think if you have experience with a product, have total faith in it then what's wrong with being a fan boy.

Hello, my names buddhasummer and I'm a fan boy,
Its been 8 minutes since my last post....

Hey Buddhasummer,

That was my thinking as well. And then I ran across this on the Edge/HOG website so I guess it all depends on the LDS and context interpretation.

Hi Chrpai,

Thanks for chiming in. Great information. Much appreciated!

With the Hollis, make sure you are getting an actual deal. For example Cave Adventurers was selling the low-end Hollis for $129 or $139 a few months ago. I see people advertising this setup for $249, which is not a deal.

You do not need any type of training to purchase Hog parts. Hollis kits are available from Northeast Scuba Supply.

Hey 511,

Tks for the information. Sounds like you might have some experience with Hollis. Do you mind sharing?

Also tks for the clarification on the maintenance kit thing. Again, I think it is going to be interesting to see how different LDS chooses to interpret the policy.

I should start reading the threads on how to maintain your own regulator. :D

Back
Top Bottom