Holiday diving.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Froglady:
I am working this morning, Thanksgiving. Hoping to gert off between 12-2pm. I am also on call until midnight. Hopefully no one will call in for the night shift. If I don't work tonight, I will be heading out to Florida for the weekend. Somewhere between Pensacola and Panama City.

Hope you get to go.....have fun and be safe!!!

I was giving some thought to a Sunday day trek to the Blue Lagoon near Huntsville,,,,,I never have been there, so something new......anyone else planning at dive there Sunday?

texdiveguy:
I was giving some thought to a Sunday day trek to the Blue Lagoon near Huntsville,,,,,I never have been there, so something new......anyone else planning at dive there Sunday?

I was thinking about going to the Blue Lagoon on Sunday also. Let me know if your
planning going.

I've never been there either, wouldn't be too long of a jaunt to make.
Hey Colt! any idea what the temps are?

Colt and TruckDiver,,,,,I could be at Blue Lagoon Sunday around 10amish....I drive a well worn 94' lt. blue Taurus....let us know what you guys think.

TruckDiver, Texdiveguy 10am would be good for me also. I drive a black explorer 2 door with my avatar on the license plates. BillT5's post from last weekend said the water temp was 63. I just checked their web site but it was not working.
http://www.bluelagoonscuba.com/ We are going to get some bad weather on Sat near Huntsville I hope it dosen't mess up the vis. Sunday: Partly cloudy and windy. Very warm. High 83F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. And it looks pretty windy on Sun.
Let me know what you guys think.

colt:
TruckDiver, Texdiveguy 10am would be good for me also. I drive a black explorer 2 door with my avatar on the license plates. BillT5's post from last weekend said the water temp was 63. I just checked their web site but it was not working.
http://www.bluelagoonscuba.com/ We are going to get some bad weather on Sat near Huntsville I hope it dosen't mess up the vis. Sunday: Partly cloudy and windy. Very warm. High 83F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. And it looks pretty windy on Sun.
Let me know what you guys think.

I have never dove BL so not sure how weather effects that pond or surrounding gear/entry locations? Have you dove there Colt??

texdiveguy:
I have never dove BL so not sure how weather effects that pond or surrounding gear/entry locations? Have you dove there Colt??

Yeah about 20 times.:D But I havent been the day after it has rained. I'll call my
LDS in the morning and ask them what their experience has been in the past.

texdiveguy:

Alan, I sure wish I could join you but it's a busy time of year.

There are two separate lagoons, #1 is the larger and older one, #2 is used mainly by classes. But that is not a "rule" and you'll find classes and pleasure divers in both.

It used to be a limestone quarry and so the high alkalinity means there is no plant or fish life, although there are these shrimp-like things that hop along the bottom. But there are numerous sunken boats to see as well as platforms. Buoys mark most of them.

The biggest weather problem is rain, the runoff can stir up the silt. But it's not an especially silty lake so the viz is usually pretty good. Sometimes as poor as 5', but usually 15' to 25'. Some claim to have gotten 40'. There have been times where I've seen #1 have 5' and #2 have 25', and vice versa, so if you don't have good vis on your first dive, go try the other one. Wind isn't a problem. Expect water temps around 60. Are you diving dry or wet?

It's a pretty area with tall wooded forests, a nice place to camp overnight. If I recall, there are a few entry platforms in #1 but most people walk in. There are numerous "beaches" where you walk in to 3', put on your fins (or BC/tank), and back swim to where it drops off a bit. Really easy in and out. Nothing like your recent rappelling entry.:D There are lots of covered picnic tables and you'll probably have your pick this time of year. Admission is $15 and air fills are $5, don't know if they give DMs any break or not.

It's real easy to get to. From I45 take exit 123, go east 4 miles, and it's on your left. The first two miles is decent asphalt, then it gets rougher with potholes. Go slow. BL is the only thing on the road (once you get to the rough part) so you can't miss it. Inside BL, the roads are gravel with ruts and holes, so drive real slow.

ReefHound:
Alan, I sure wish I could join you but it's a busy time of year.

There are two separate lagoons, #1 is the larger and older one, #2 is used mainly by classes. But that is not a "rule" and you'll find classes and pleasure divers in both.

It used to be a limestone quarry and so the high alkalinity means there is no plant or fish life, although there are these shrimp-like things that hop along the bottom. But there are numerous sunken boats to see as well as platforms. Buoys mark most of them.

The biggest weather problem is rain, the runoff can stir up the silt. But it's not an especially silty lake so the viz is usually pretty good. Sometimes as poor as 5', but usually 15' to 25'. Some claim to have gotten 40'. There have been times where I've seen #1 have 5' and #2 have 25', and vice versa, so if you don't have good vis on your first dive, go try the other one. Wind isn't a problem. Expect water temps around 60. Are you diving dry or wet?

It's a pretty area with tall wooded forests, a nice place to camp overnight. If I recall, there are a few entry platforms in #1 but most people walk in. There are numerous "beaches" where you walk in to 3', put on your fins (or BC/tank), and back swim to where it drops off a bit. Really easy in and out. Nothing like your recent rappelling entry.:D There are lots of covered picnic tables and you'll probably have your pick this time of year. Admission is $15 and air fills are $5, don't know if they give DMs any break or not.

It's real easy to get to. From I45 take exit 123, go east 4 miles, and it's on your left. The first two miles is decent asphalt, then it gets rougher with potholes. Go slow. BL is the only thing on the road (once you get to the rough part) so you can't miss it. Inside BL, the roads are gravel with ruts and holes, so drive real slow.

ReefHound.... wow that is great detailed info...thanks a ton. Yea wish you could join us too. I can dive either wet or dry. With this info. and Colt having dove there also ,,,should do fine. Let me know when your up north next and we can dive hopefully together. :) Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom