Holbox or Isla Mujeres for Whale Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard of one passing by as we were diving a Playa del Carmen reef once; whether true or not? :idk: They probably do pass by between feeding areas.

I haven't heard of other sights around Coz altho there may be the rare glimpse. If you want to swim with them, you need to go to IM or Holbox. You could use one of your days on a long day trip to do so, and some Ops do handle those - but I understand it is a very long day: taxi to ferry, ferry to PDC, van to Cancun, ferry to IM, boat out to the Whale Sharks, and the end - retrace.

Don

Thx I was just curious we have decided on Snorkeling with them at Isla. It is the first thing we are going to do and might just decide to do it again at Holbox. Just was wondering being so close and no sightings was just curious.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 06:55 PM ----------

Now it is time to find an op to do a cenote day with from cancun. Thought about Scorpio but read on there website no cameras. I could not imagine going anywhere that restricts camera use?

No cameras in a cenote? What's with that? Flash is not permitted with the Whale sharks, so I shot video.

Hey Rick,
We run a dive operation and as well own a whale shark operation and we are very good at what we do, we have been doing whale shark tours from Cancun for now 10 years, we started we 3 boats that we used for Contoy Island tours that we still offer, now we have a fleet of 12 boats custom made for 20 to 30 snorkelers but as all boats no matter sizes we are to take only 10 snorkelers per boat.
We have operated whale shark tours from isla mujeres before being allowed to take snorkelers out from Cancun, our Captains are mostly the ones that find the migration every year, in late April we begin going out far away to look for whale shark scouts that are looking for plankton and feeding waters.
Many of the operations depend on us for this, we do work together with some operations. You will find so many websites of tour operators that do ONLY whale shark snorkeling but they are merely middle men that end up sending their snorkelers for us to operate and obviously charge a lot more for the same services, there are really not as many operators as it seems.
Holbox Island is beautiful and fantastic to vacation at, unfortunately the waters there are green and not as great as where the migrations moves here on our state, north of isla mujeres and on the way to Contoy island.
We as well run a personalized dive operation and it will be our pleasure to provide service to you.
Many opinions here like DON´S are fantastic, he really knows a lot about the area and is always involved I check on his posts about weather specially during hurricane seasons.
It is also great to have feedback from other divers that have been and have done, specially divers to divers, but sometimes what a diver or snorkeler experiences in a week vacation even if they visit many times, is not the same facts as to do it live it and work on it.

SOMETIMES and not guaranteed we on the way back from the sharks stop by a coral reef to snorkel, some other times and again not guaranteed we go towards places we know that we have seen Mantas or Dolphins. We try for that to be a surprise.

If you have any questions please click on the website and shoot us an email.

Sincerely

RDrink, if you are going to do Holbox too, some take the bus to Chiquila or book van service. If you drive, the maps are better than when we went - but don't let Google maps try to take you on the toll road! No Exit, unless they've changed. We tried that, and ended up doing a lot of exploring. I think Christine suggested where to get the good maps: cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya

I like Easyway car rentals for the area. Nice packages with low rates including all insurance, etc. Getting thru Cancun with a poor understanding of Spanish was a hoot, but you'll have better maps. :wink:

We finally got to the ferry dock after the last ferry had left so we had to pay whatever the private boat wanted. Get there earlier and I doubt you will want to take the ferry, unless they have a nicer one now, but you can make a much better deal dickering with the next private boat. The good news was that the square was still lively and many restaurants still open. Watch out for big pot holes on the road, fill up your gas tank at the station before parking, then park in one of the private, secured lots nearby. We didn't, it was not open Sunday morning, and we had no idea where we'd find one - hopefully before running out of gas after all of our exploring. Yes, the good maps have those stations marks, but we didn't have those. Again, some of this may have changed in recent years but I haven't seen reports or pics, and I failed to get a shot of that old ferry.

Holbox is a delightful town I'd enjoy visiting again, but I'd say it's a 2 or 3 night trip. It's not far out of the way to Chichen Itza and Ek Balam ruins if you're interested, but - the snorkeling sounds better north of IM.

So, Dive Pro - your site it out of date. You still pick up at Cancun hotels, take customers to the docks, and you head for Isla Contoy from there - without having to ferry to IM? Only about an hour to the Dominoes usually - and your boats have heads/restrooms?! Sounds nice, with snacks & sandwiches. How much are you charging this year...?

For orientation & discussion, Isla Contoy is marked with the Red A with Cancun, IM, and Holbox noted...

Capture2.jpg

And this Google map is a lie unless they put in an exit since. The airport road illustrated goes only to the toll road, which does not have an exit until Valladolid, off to the left there. We circled back around on the local roads and got there, but it was iffy for a while...!!

Capture4.jpg

Hey Don.
Site is updated, last post about the last days of our last season! but info is set and good.
Yes we pick up at Cancun hotels, yes we take snorkelers to our docks ( we at times use 2 different ones) close to Puerto Juarez and another at Punta Sam, a separate dock we have been working on not the Ferry dock.
We do not go to Isla Mujeres to depart from there.
Boats are custom made twin 250hp engines so a little fast. We at times travel from 45mins to 1 hour and a half to get to the migration.
We do have heads on the boats. We do provide continental breakfast, light lunch (ceviche, sandwiches and refreshments) all gear, and if snorkelers wish to wear a wet suit live vest is not necessary.

thanks Don. Prices vary depending on how many snorkelers, and if doing a dive package and whale sharks or only whale sharks, and if private service needed

DANDY DON I SEE WHAT YOU MEANT, REALLY THANK YOU DON, IT IS APPREACIATED!
I can provide info by email or pm

Happy diving to all

Many thanks Mike and DandyDon for ALL the great intel throughout this post!

My husband and I are planning a trip in late July for our 10th anniversary , and are looking for tour operators. (actually Mike I just replied to a post of yours in another thread, too).

Good to know the vis is better from Isla Mujeres. I am now heavily leading that way. (Vis means a lot to me). And while I will certainly check out Dive Pro who posted above, I would VERY much love to know (DandyDon or Mike) if you've had any specific operators you've gone out with for whale sharks that you would recommend (as in - naming names).

I'm been online with this research on and off for so many hours over so many weekends at this point, and am heading toward "analysis paralysis" .

We are seriously considering splurging on a charter or private/vip (whatever the individual operator calls it) for his op, so that we can be sure we'll have time in the water with these amazing creatures, since - for us at least, this may be a once-in a lifetime chance (and whale sharks and mantas are bucket-list things for us). But of course, there are far fewer reviews for that kind of thing. (and I'm guessing an operator who does one well stands a good chance of doing the other well, but if either of you have recommendation for that , specifically, that would be awesome)

Deference to the rules that protect the animals means a lot to us too. One operator pointed out he had prop guards on his boat. Maybe that's required for all now, don't know - but I can say I would be uncomfortable on a boat that didn't both follow the rules to protect, and indeed respect , the animals.

Oh and hey - is mid-late July a good bet, do you know? I understand what the official 'season' is, but we all know there tend to be sweetspots to any season.

Thanks again (SO much!)

Sybil

Hi LittleBad

My info was dated 2 years ago when we posted to this thread so really so now. I'm sure much has changed, and the prices have doubled. :eek: Hiring a private boat should not be needed tho, and wow would that be expensive. After I swam with one of the giants for a while, I needed a rest anyway before I went again.

I'm sure your trip will go fine, but let us know.

LB, here's a cut & paste of my trip report to there from 5 years ago.

In my experience, all of the operators are pretty similar, same boat size, # of passengers, the structure of their trips. That could've changed as this has become more popular. I don't remember who I used for the whale shark outing, but I'm pretty sure I just went down to the dock & found out who had boat space available & reserved my spot the afternoon before I wanted to go out.

One thing I would recommend. There's a "whale shark festival" in Isla Mujeres that should be about the time that you want to go. It's geared more toward educating the operators & boat crew (I think I was the only tourista in the audience) and takes some research to find, but if you geek out on the science & biology of whale sharks, it's worth checking out.

Trip report:
Now that the gear's been unpacked, rinsed and dried, the mail's been open, and I'm caught up at work, I thought I'd jot some quick notes about the trip.

Isla Mujeres - What a great island!
Small, golf carting around it takes a little over two hours; we managed to circumnavigate it with the boat going to two dive sites and the return to the dock. No Bubba Gumps or Domino's here. If you need your Mickey D's, this place aint for you. Every meal I had was fabulous though, and sometimes we picked a place just off the cuff.

We stayed at Posada del Mar, not a fancy hotel, but nice enough. It's walking distance from the ferry and Hidalgo Street (where alot of the restaurants & shops are), and has an open air restaurant & bar with a nice view of the beach which is right across the street. I found a cool little boutique hotel, Casa Ixchel that I may stay at next time. It's a little ways from downtown, but with a golf cart only a short ride, and has a GORGEOUS view of the east side of the island with waves rolling in just feet from the pool & the patio.

We dove with Aqua Adventures. They were very nice, but I'd be inclined to try someone else next time. Even though our max depth on any dive was 43 fsw, we generally returned to the surface with half a tank left, and nobody was anywhere near pushing a no-deco limit, the DM's generally called the dives at 45 minutes. I'd hoped to dive with Enrique's Unique Dives, having heard good things about him, but that day got blown out.

Viz wasn't that good because of recent storms. I'd like to see what optimal viz is there. We still saw some cool stuff - an underwater sculpture garden, a few squid, the aforementioned whale sharks
cool.gif
, some big friendly turtles and my first lionfish
frown.gif

Topside they had some great stuff too, including a private island that was floating on 100,000 empty water bottles. It was small, but big enough for a house. We got to enjoy the prettiest zip line I've ever seen, going from the cliffs out over the water & then back to the beach. I was able to try my hand at conch shell trumpeting near there as well.
biggrin.gif

Definitely an island worth revisiting. I really liked the vibe!
pirate-patch-smile.gif

The second half of the week was spent in Cozumel at Scuba Club. The resort is definitely family oriented and the guests tend to be, shall we say, "more sedate" than I'm used to.
wink.gif
Food wasn't bad, but nothing to write home about. The dive op there was FANTASTIC however. We were never rushed to finish the dives. As people ran low on air the DM buddied them up, sent them to the surface and stayed down with those of us remaining. My last dive there, on Paradise was 71 minutes.

The diving never disappoints in Coz. We saw lots of big grouper, some good cleaning station activity, and a BIG puffer. The best though was on the night dive when we came across a tiger paw standing straight up on the reef spawning!

All in all, one heck of a trip!

Hey Rick,
We run a dive operation and as well own a whale shark operation and we are very good at what we do, we have been doing whale shark tours from Cancun for now 10 years, we started we 3 boats that we used for Contoy Island tours that we still offer, now we have a fleet of 12 boats custom made for 20 to 30 snorkelers but as all boats no matter sizes we are to take only 10 snorkelers per boat.
We have operated whale shark tours from isla mujeres before being allowed to take snorkelers out from Cancun, our Captains are mostly the ones that find the migration every year, in late April we begin going out far away to look for whale shark scouts that are looking for plankton and feeding waters.
Many of the operations depend on us for this, we do work together with some operations. You will find so many websites of tour operators that do ONLY whale shark snorkeling but they are merely middle men that end up sending their snorkelers for us to operate and obviously charge a lot more for the same services, there are really not as many operators as it seems.
Holbox Island is beautiful and fantastic to vacation at, unfortunately the waters there are green and not as great as where the migrations moves here on our state, north of isla mujeres and on the way to Contoy island.
We as well run a personalized dive operation and it will be our pleasure to provide service to you.
Many opinions here like DON´S are fantastic, he really knows a lot about the area and is always involved I check on his posts about weather specially during hurricane seasons.
It is also great to have feedback from other divers that have been and have done, specially divers to divers, but sometimes what a diver or snorkeler experiences in a week vacation even if they visit many times, is not the same facts as to do it live it and work on it.

SOMETIMES and not guaranteed we on the way back from the sharks stop by a coral reef to snorkel, some other times and again not guaranteed we go towards places we know that we have seen Mantas or Dolphins. We try for that to be a surprise.

If you have any questions please click on the website and shoot us an email.

Sincerely
Hi. What is your website? I'd like to book several people to do the Whale sharks snorkeling with you.

Back
Top Bottom