Hogarthian vs DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standingbear56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Everyone,
Here is a simple question that I have been asked, but I'm not sure of the correct answer. What is the difference between Hogarthian Diving and DIR Diving. It is my understanding that DIR is a form of Hogarthian Diving but has an exact equipment configuration whereas Horgarthian allows for more variations so long as the holistic concept isn't violated. Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance,
George

Hogarthian is an equipment configuration. DIR is a team diving system that, in part, leverages the Hogarthian equipment configuration.

To add a little more specificity, my understanding of a "hogarthian" config includes most of the equipment decisions you see in DIR - the use of a backplate and wing with a harness made from a single piece of continuous webbing, long hose primary, etc. But it begins and ends with the equipment. If you were decked out in a "hog harness" and swam upside down, solo, bicycle kicking with only your wrists while smoking out of a spare air bong, Bill Main probably wouldn't care...although he might sock you one for great justice.

DIR, as a "holistic approach" goes way beyond just equipment config - it also contemplates a systematic approach to team awareness and team diving, physical fitness, non-silting kicks, gas mixes, deco profiles, etc.

What's the difference between a turbocharger and a turbocharged engine?

I'd amend that slightly. It should be Hog, DIR and GUE.

Hog is the basic minimialist philosophy of gear configuration developed mostly by Bill Main.

DIR is the extension and gradual evolution of that philosophy passed more or less from diver to diver primarily in a buddy/mentor manner where divers essentially learned, refined or acquired it informally.

In my opinion, Hog and DIR share the same acceptance of evolution through innovation as long as the underlying principles of bringing only what you need and ensuring everything brings something to the dive along with keeping it all as streamlined as possible are not violated. The Hog configuration was developed and optimized in a cave environment while DIR in my opinion has a potentially wider application and more flexibility as long as the configuration remains optimized to the conditions.

GUE is DIR with the difference that GUE is the agency iteration of DIR that has evolved with formal, specific standards, classes and its own brand of politics that is overall make it a bit more inflexible and standardized in terms of it's interpretation of the "right" and "wrong" way to do things and it tends to remain focused more on the cave environment.

I'd amend that slightly. It should be Hog, DIR and GUE.
Okey dokey

Hog is the basic minimialist philosophy of gear configuration developed mostly by Bill Main.
Sounds good...I think I could buy that.

DIR is the extension and gradual evolution of that philosophy passed more or less from diver to diver primarily in a buddy/mentor manner where divers essentially learned, refined or acquired it informally.
Well....other than you really didn't say anything...it still sounds wrong. You missed the easy hanging fruit about what DIR is....which is "procedure" and not gear.

In my opinion, Hog and DIR share the same acceptance of evolution through innovation as long as the underlying principles of bringing only what you need and ensuring everything brings something to the dive along with keeping it all as streamlined as possible are not violated.
Given your comment above shows that you don't understand DIR...this is even a bigger step of misinformation.

The Hog configuration was developed and optimized in a cave environment while DIR in my opinion has a potentially wider application and more flexibility as long as the configuration remains optimized to the conditions.
Sorry...blind leading the lame.

GUE is DIR with the difference that GUE is the agency iteration of DIR that has evolved with formal, specific standards, classes and its own brand of politics that is overall make it a bit more inflexible and standardized in terms of it's interpretation of the "right" and "wrong" way to do things and it tends to remain focused more on the cave environment.
LOL

HOG - Gear configuration

DIR - A set of policies and procedures based on a very specific HOG gear configuration.

What about the smokining dope part? That seemed important, too?

JeffG has it right.

I would add that the HOG equipment configuration developed from the general needs of North Florida Cavers. The HOG equipment configuration can be used in other diving profiles than that of caves. Indeed, many of the componants of the HOG equipment configuration were derived from earlier dive use outside of caves.

"DIR" is a term that represents a specific set of protcols and equipment configurations that were deveopled for a specific group of North Florida exploration cave divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom