Hogarthian help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I normally use jets, but I've also used long fins with scuba. Just need to adjust how I hold my legs.

My exposure runs the gambit, from rash guard/board shorts, to 3 mil shorty, 5 mil full suit, 7 mil one piece with hood, to dry. Its not body type.

My dive buddy and I are completely different "body types" yet, we both dive the same way, weight is not used to adjust trim, just to get us underwater.
With all due respect, you HAVE used weight to adjust your trim. For your body type, you are able to keep it mostly centered. If weight is NOT important for trim, they try putting all your weight in a weight belt and see what happens.
You are lucky.
Note that the way YOU are able to dive does not mean that will work for everyone.

With all due respect, you HAVE used weight to adjust your trim. For your body type, you are able to keep it mostly centered. If weight is NOT important for trim, they try putting all your weight in a weight belt and see what happens.
You are lucky.
Note that the way YOU are able to dive does not mean that will work for everyone.
I agree to a certain extent. But I see way too many people that start clipping on tail weights, leg weights, shoulder weights, pocket weights, adjusting their tanks in ridiculous manners to fix a problem that proper training would fix.

I agree to a certain extent. But I see way too many people that start clipping on tail weights, leg weights, shoulder weights, pocket weights, adjusting their tanks in ridiculous manners to fix a problem that proper training would fix.
"might" fix, not "would" fix.

OP, get a wing with slots, return the non-slotted one. Use barrel screws (sex bolts), the plastic ones through the grommet in the harness, wing and plate to tie it all together.

The weight pouches if they are quick release types, go on the waist strap regardless of what you think. The dump feature should be oriented downward.

Get two cam band weight pocuhes, non QR types for trim ballast.

The nylon cambands are all you need.

The suggested STC with the triple slots, if you keep the slotless wing, get that one so you do not have to hike your tank up over your head to keep the top camband from falling off the top shoulder of the tank.

Piranha, like most others of this type sort of expect the purchaser to do their homework. Yes, I know, it is confusing. Heck it is still confusing to me.

You need about 12 to 15 feet of medium or standard stiffness webbing to string a Hogarthian style harness.

James

I know DGX offers BP/w packages which come with everything. Does Piranha have those? No time to check.

A couple of other things. If you make and weave your own harness, where the grommet is in the webbing, you would just burn a hole with a soldering iron.

Weight integration pockets, strictly speaking, are not Hogarthian. Of course, that does not stop me from doing it and using them nor should it you but as a result you may find more diverse opinions on how to rig weight pouches, what kind of pouches and exactly where they should go because the Master did not set this forth in the tablets that he hath carried up from the bowels of the scared cave system in Florida (not California) from which they were given unto him! Yeah, he probably used a weight belt, that is Hog.

It is possible to do a two piece webbing. At the top, instead of crossing the webbing over (and burning the hole) you just weave the webbing through the shoulder slots and then secure the tag end with a triglide. Why do this, well, you can replace one side or the other or more quickly access the shoulder straps to replace the bicycle tube rubber bands or whatever else you might have strung on there. And that is not Hog either :wink:.

You can also cross the shoulder straps behind you from opposite sides. This is done to drop the plate lower and/or to help prevent the straps from falling off smaller or more narrow shoulders. That is Hog, I think :).

I hate faffing with harnesses! You may come to as well. That may not be Hog. The quest for simplicity never ends. That is Hog!

James

OP, get a wing with slots, return the non-slotted one. Use barrel screws (sex bolts), the plastic ones through the grommet in the harness, wing and plate to tie it all together.

The weight pouches if they are quick release types, go on the waist strap regardless of what you think. The dump feature should be oriented downward.

Get two cam band weight pocuhes, non QR types for trim ballast.

The nylon cambands are all you need.

The suggested STC with the triple slots, if you keep the slotless wing, get that one so you do not have to hike your tank up over your head to keep the top camband from falling off the top shoulder of the tank.

Piranha, like most others of this type sort of expect the purchaser to do their homework. Yes, I know, it is confusing. Heck it is still confusing to me.

You need about 12 to 15 feet of medium or standard stiffness webbing to string a Hogarthian style harness.

James
Piranha confirmed I need a STA if I keep the wing, which is probably the route I will go. I did tell them up front that I was a clueless newbie with no idea what to purchase, that I wanted to completely replace a BCD and I bought exactly what they told me to buy. They have every right not to want to deal with me, but if they tell me they want my business and are willing to help me buy exactly what I need, I expect not to end up half way around the world with a rig missing key pieces. I did screw up with the dive knife - I told them I had one and didn't need one, but my sheath is not removable from my BCD, so having to hit $100 for free shipping with the STA and a dive knife is not too bad if I get a few bungies and bolt snaps, and even paying shipping is not so bad in the grand scheme of things. I just want to be sure I have everything I need this time before I place the order, so I am not reordering again or missing something on my trip.

Piranha confirmed I need a STA if I keep the wing, which is probably the route I will go. I did tell them up front that I was a clueless newbie with no idea what to purchase, that I wanted to completely replace a BCD and I bought exactly what they told me to buy. They have every right not to want to deal with me, but if they tell me they want my business and are willing to help me buy exactly what I need, I expect not to end up half way around the world with a rig missing key pieces. I did screw up with the dive knife - I told them I had one and didn't need one, but my sheath is not removable from my BCD, so having to hit $100 for free shipping with the STA and a dive knife is not too bad if I get a few bungies and bolt snaps, and even paying shipping is not so bad in the grand scheme of things. I just want to be sure I have everything I need this time before I place the order, so I am not reordering again or missing something on my trip.

You will want to assemble the wing/BP ensemble before arriving in Cozumel.

Knives are not allowed in the park.

The knife on your BC probably has some screws on the back that go through grommets. If so you can remove it, transfer it to the new harness. If it is the typical little BC knife you can burn two holes to accept the prongs and screws from the sheath, probably in the left shoulder web below the D-ring.

Or just buy a Trilobite type cutter and be done with it.

James

From what you said you have I think you just need the STA, hardware to attach to the plate, and two cambands. This assumes the harness was webbing and hardware (Minimum 3 d rings; 5 tri glides, and a belt buckle) and the crotch strap and it’s hardware. You should be able to assemble the harness to the plate before you place your order to confirm you have everything.
If you need to buy a knife consider something like this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom