Hogarthian help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to move on from my BCD to a separate wing/backplate and choose a Hogarthian setup from Piranha. Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to try this before my Cozumel trip. I just assembled the harness and realized they didn't sell me a tank strap, so I have no way to attach a tank. Easily fixed before I leave, and I might be able to find one on Cozumel, but I'd rather have everything ready to go when I get off the ferry. Anything like that I need but might not know about?

How much webbing to do I leave or cut? Is there a general rule? Obviously I'd rather have too much than too little, especially as I am adjusting the fit, but I think this is enough webbing for a 500 lbs person.

Are there any good books or websites (other than those selling stuff) on Hogarthian or DIR scuba?

Helpful thread about the excess webbing:

I want to move on from my BCD to a separate wing/backplate and choose a Hogarthian setup from Piranha. Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to try this before my Cozumel trip. I just assembled the harness and realized they didn't sell me a tank strap, so I have no way to attach a tank. Easily fixed before I leave, and I might be able to find one on Cozumel, but I'd rather have everything ready to go when I get off the ferry. Anything like that I need but might not know about?

How much webbing to do I leave or cut? Is there a general rule? Obviously I'd rather have too much than too little, especially as I am adjusting the fit, but I think this is enough webbing for a 500 lbs person.

Are there any good books or websites (other than those selling stuff) on Hogarthian or DIR scuba?
With some wings you need to have an STA, with some you do not.
How can you tell ?
Does the wing have slots or just two grommets for bolts? If just grommets you need an STA, with slots you SHOULD be able to just use two cam bands. Personally I only use an STA on my drysuit rig, the wings for my other rigs have stabilizers that help the tank from moving when strapped straight to the plate and wing.

What are the grommets for? There is one on the harness, and one on the wing - as if a bolt should go through here. But I don't have a bolt.

What are the grommets for? There is one on the harness, and one on the wing - as if a bolt should go through here. But I don't have a bolt.
A single tank adapter will have 2 bolts that will aling with those grommets and holes in the BP and harness. You then secure everything with the thumbscrew or whatever is provided with your STA on the BP side. The grommet in the harness just allows it to be fixed by the bolt at the midpoint to prevent shifting around.

With some wings you need to have an STA, with some you do not.
How can you tell ?
Does the wing have slots or just two grommets for bolts? If just grommets you need an STA, with slots you SHOULD be able to just use two cam bands. Personally I only use an STA on my drysuit rig, the wings for my other rigs have stabilizers that help the tank from moving when strapped straight to the plate and wing.
IST Donut wing, says for single tank use only, no slots, piranha says I don't need an adapter.

How about taking some photos for us?

How about taking some photos for us?

Back
Top Bottom