Hogarthian help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this everything I need to completely replace my BCD? I hate to keep placing multiple orders with shipping costs and I am almost a week from my trip.

Since you're ordering anyway, you might want to get a couple bolt snaps in case you need something to clip anything to your harness.
Such as this double ender

and this single ender

They also sold me Hog 10lb Weight Pocket to replace integrated weight system. I probably should have put these on my shoulders before I assembled the harness. Does it matter which way they go? Does it matter if they are above or below the D-Rings? At the time, I liked the idea of having all my weight on my shoulders - my feet tend to sink. That might still work, but now it seems a little extreme.

Here's another option... Send back the wing and get one with slots for cam bands so you don't need the STA.
I probably won't go that route, but if I do, are the bands the only thing holding the wing on? Do I still need bolts?

Those weight pockets go on the waist straps not the shoulder straps.

I probably won't go that route, but if I do, are the bands the only thing holding the wing on? Do I still need bolts?

You wont need bolts if you are only using the strap. (through the wing but you don't have that model). The bolts hold the BP to the STA with the wing in between.

Those weight pockets go on the waist straps not the shoulder straps.
Really? They seem a little bulky on the shoulder webbing, but they came with 4 plastic clips to keep them from sliding. On the waist straps, there is no point to the clips.

Maybe the manufacture intended them for the waist but Piranha recommends them for the shoulders? Piranha also has 5lbs, if those are better for the shoulders.

I've used anywhere from 6lbs to 8kg, but compared to the Hogarthian harness, my BCD feels like I am wearing a sofa, so I can probably use less weight.

Stick with the light weight STA, it keeps your kit neat and together. If you are truly wanting to move to a "hogarthian" set up, then skip the weight pockets altogether. Especially on your shoulders.

You can add some trim weights on the top cam strap for more balance when traveling. But honestly, best not to relay on weights to get you balanced. That's training.

Untitled-18.jpg

Back
Top Bottom